Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslax, Oct 8, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Ok, i got a NS2000/4 with active EMG-HZ soapbars. I was wondering whAt kind of pickup i could replace them with for a little more growl and punch. Im also on a budget, not very tight, but cant get something really expensive. Also, do you know if the EMG-HZ pus have a preamp in them? would this mean that if i replace them i would need to get a new preamp?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    EMG-HZ's do not have a preamp in them. They are passive pickups. Have you tried different strings? Sometimes you can find the sound you want this way. If, however, your heart is set on new pickups, the manufacturers can give you dimensions so that you can tell if they will fit without modification. I think Bartolini gives dimensions in their online catalog, but I'm not sure. Try http://www.bartolini.net .

Other mfr's make soapbar replacements, but some, like the Basslines and EMG's will be mostly active. DiMarzio makes a passive one, however.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    thanks ill check out the barts, but what would be good for some growl?