Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pickup Installation Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HiFi, Feb 13, 2005.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Well, I finished installing a new Bassline Precision pickup but have found a problem: it's not working!

I've looked it over and everything looks to be in order, and checked it against the little schematic that SD included with the pickup. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I plug in and get a steady hum, and the sound cuts out for a split second whenever I pluck a note. I have done some work like this before and didn't think there would be any problem so I'm not sure what went wrong.

I used 2 250K pots, a stereo jack, wiring from an old EMG harness, and the capacitor from the EMG harness. Any ideas based on the information provided?

2. try using a multi meter set for ohms (in the K range) and measure the impedance directly from the pickup pins (not the cable). If it measures nothing then the pickup is defective.

3. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Pickup is brand new so I'm sure it's fine...but that doesn't matter anymore. The SD schematic seems to have been lacking since I rechecked. I just finish rewiring and the bass sounds killer. I guess I should just trust my own judgment next time. Thanks though.