1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new pickups and preamp, worth it?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vindy500, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Do they actually increase tone noticeably, or is it kinda like if you a/b you will hear a slight difference?

Im looking at upgrading the mighty mites in my cort, or buying a MIA fender P, but one or the other...

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I do believe that pickups and a preamp will greatly affect the tone. A preamp just shapes the tone, though. The pickups are the bigger tone contributer. What kind of sound are you looking for?

3. id like a versatile tone, something that is capable of doing lots of things :)

although to be honest i hardly ever use the eq controls....

4. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Well if you don't use eq, why get a preamp? Hmmmm versatile pickups..Let's meezzz think. Basslines. People say that they are less hi-fi than EMG's and louder than Bartolinis.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    nordstrand pickups :D

6. ok and what about these high end things like nordstrands etc?

so really if im just setting eq to flat theres no difference between like a aggie preamp and my generic china one?

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    the higher the price, GENERALLY the higher quality the sound.

generally.

8. sure or it could make my bass sound like a cow farting which for some reason people like?

seriously though, what do nordstrands do that are so amazing