1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pickups for a Fender Bass with PJ configuration- recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Turlu, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi all,

I have Custom shop pickups in my Fender Bass configured PJ. I would like to get more 'ooumphh' to the Tone, especially for the bridge Jazz pickup.

Would installing a set of Nordstrand NP4A and NJ4SE pickups would do the trick? I like the Bass to have great bottom end and growl and would like to utilize both pickups fully blended for slap tone and get more of that 'Jazz' tone.
    Let me know what you think!!

2. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I’d like to see what people think as well, as I’m also in the market for some P/J upgrades.

I can tell you that I’ve been very impressed by the videos and sound clips of the Aguilar P/J set. People seem to love the new EMG Geezer Butler P/J set as well, and I actually have a Geezer P in a P bass... great pickup. The Dimarzio Model P/J set gets a lot of love. No experience here with Nordstrand other than a set of Big J Blade Warm & Woolies in my Jazz Bass.

3. Robal

Robal

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have had a Nordstrand P/J set in a 1969 Precision bass for many years and have no desire to change. No signal coil noise, very articulate and full sounding.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I went through this analysis a few months ago and ended up buying the Lindy Fralin P/J set. I started out cross-shopping Nordstrand and Aguilar, then got turned on by all the positive talk on the EMG Geezer Butler set.

Then I read that Lindy Fralin overwinds the J pickup in the P/J set to help it blend more assertively with the P, which made sense to me based on the typically anemic J sound in P/J applications. Someone here then recommended them to me and I decided to try them.

They sound great in my old St. Blues P/J. A bit less sizzle than the stock DiMarzios and a bit more girth. Possibly a more traditional tone, but very moldable with EQ and very solid.

Not a revolutionary change over the stock pickups, but a positive change for sure.

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I remember reading an extensive thread long ago about PJ’s. Some members have gone through a lot of pickups and testing to get a good balance.

6. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    My two favorite P/J sets are the Aguilar PJ and the DiMarzio Model P and Model J pickups.
    Both are really excellent with the Aguilar offering a more vintage tone and the DiMarzio delivering a hotter more 70's tone. (I use to say modern but some of the youngsters here were responding that the 70's no longer constitute a modern tone - they might have a point).

7. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I am also in this same process so thanks for these comments. I’m flip flopping at the moment looking for a PJ set for a chambered warmoth body I got. The chambered aspect has me wondering if that needs to be considered in the choice and yet another curveball is I’m going with a Status graphite neck and also plan on using most likely a Sadowsky preamp as I recently put one in a J and am really happy with that and that has Reed James pickups which sound great so I was considering those.
    However I had a P bass I used for a couple of years that I put an Aguilar p in that sounded absolutely incredible and I played some big foh shows with that and got great comments on how great that sounded and I know that was all about the pu because it transformed that particular bass so I always wanted to try their PJ set.
    I may have just convinced myself. Thanks for the therapy session....;)

8. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Drat, after all that I realized that the turn off to the Aguilar are those graphics on them. I know it sounds petty but I’d rather they didn’t have their name on them. I wonder if I can just use other covers...