New pickups for a MIM Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been super happy with the MIM Jazz V I just bought new a few weeks ago. The Pau Ferro fingerboard has NO dead spots, the construction and finish are really nice. The pickups sound like they are at the bottom of the proverbial well. I've seen Fender Jazz V noiseless pickups for sale on Ebay, and I think Dimarzio makes some too. What new pickups should I get for trad Jazz sound? And where can I get em?
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Find a copy of the Bass Player, March 1999 issue. They have a J-bass pickup shootout.

I would suggest some Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass pickups for that classic J bass tone.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Their are alot of GREAT pickups aroung. My favorite are Sadwosky Humcancelling J's. They sound incredib;e passive.

I also like EMG's. Very modern sound.
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I appreciate the responses--I guess I thought the supply of five string jazz pickups was a bit more restricted that four string. Especially for ones that will match the standard Fender rout. Thanks!
  5. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I just put some Bartolinis in my MIM Jazz V-- they are absolutley fabulous. They required a little body/pickguard routing, but nothing major. I did it with a Dremmel tool. I also installed a push/pull series/parallel switch-- now it THUMP and GROWLS! :D
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just dropped some Dimarzio
    ultra jazz's in. YES!!!
    Great even without a preamp.
    I still may add a j-retro.