Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pickups for BTB406QM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hstiles, May 29, 2002.

1. I bought an Ibanez BTB406QM yesterday - I wanted a decent bass for not too much money and I thought a 6 would be a good proession from my 5-string and 4-string fretless.

Now the bass is pretty good for the money, but the electronics are clearly lacking. Now, It has a 3 band EQ with vari-mid and soapbar pickups (probably cheap passive humbuckers).

I'd like to upgrade the electronics and was wondering what was on the market. I'd still like a three band EQ, although I don't necessarily need the vari-mid. That said if I did buy an EQ with a stacked mid pot, I could keep using the knobs that came with the bass.

I'd pefer passive humbuckers to active pickups, but then again, I'm open to any suggestions.

I wouldn't want to spend more than £350 if I could help it.

2. The hardest thing for you to do would be get a pre and pickups for less than that. The electronics here in the UK are very expensive.

I recommend some Bartolini soapbars - keep your EQ for now, as it actually is a good pre when you use good pickups IMO. The Barts are passive, and you can mail them the dimensions of your exisitng pickups so they'll match it for easy replacement. Expensive option, but probably the best one out there. If you still wanna change the pre out later, then go for it. But just try the new pups first, I think you'll be surprised.