1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Pickups for Epiphone Accu Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Moreno_IV, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Alright guys and gals. I've got this little Epiphone Accu Bass Jr. beginner's bass that I have had for years and years. It's modeled after a P Bass and I really like it, but the electronics/pickups leave something to be desired. The bass tends to make a lot of buzz, so I have been looking at the '62 Fender P Bass Reissue pickups to replace the original pups in the Epiphone.

Do you think that replacing the pickups will help with the buzz, and more importantly, will it make for a better bass in general?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

split P pups are effectively humbuckers but that doesn't mean they won't hum even if properly installed - but typically they don't.

Hum in an HB indicates a grounding/shielding issue but without another pup that doesn't hum to swap you really can't tell. If I had to pick one split P it would probably be an SD 1/4 pdr for more traditional tone or a Bart for a more refined contemporary vibe.

3. Will the new pickups create a drastic difference in sound? I can live with the hum if replacing the pups won't give me a better/different sound. All in all, I'm looking to upgrade my bass without actually buying a new one.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That's something only you can answer. There are guys that just knowing the make of the pup will accomplish all 3. Skim through the shielding link in FAQ. I'd probably try and rule out ground issues first.

Bass pups have been going used on ebay dirt cheap for a year now. Wasn't that long ago you could get Reverend P's for $12 new and their 8.7K pup was about as good as any.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021