Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pickups for Epiphone?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EEbass04, Dec 29, 2001.

1. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I have an Epiphone Accu Bass Jr. and I am interested in installing new pickups in it. The Fender 62's listed in MF! Do you think it would be possible for me to get that classic p-bass sound out of these? and could u estimate how much it would cost to get this done professionally? thanks for the help in advance! Oh yea the attachment is a newer model of my bass! Mine looks a lot like it except I have the knobs of a Samick SG b/c mine HAD black knobs like the white ones on Fenders!

2. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Could someone please reply to this with something helpful?!:(

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    how much did you pay for that bass? how much will you pay for the pickup?

4. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    bass-$125 pickups-$60 installiation-? anyway I don't mind spending more than the bass costs because the bass is fine I'm just not happy with the sound I get.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you are correct. it would be not the best move put pricey pickup on a low budget bass. your bass, correct me if i'm wrong, has 1 pickup in the style of Fender Precision. here what i suggest you to do. first of all take a measurement of your pickup, then go to websites of pickup makers and check if their pickups fir your bass. i suggest you to try the Seymoud Duncan Quarter Pound. they have a higher output then others pickups, the fender pickups you named are really food too. i suggest you to not throw away your old pickup. in the future you could sell the epiphone with the original pickup and hold the better pickup for a new project. i hope it helps, let me know...

6. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Yea I had considered those too, but then I heard that they don't sound like a Fender. But then theres the contradictory that I heard when I listened to Blink 182(stupid friend won't listen to anything else) but anyway I found out that he had the Quarter pounders and even though I don't like Mark at all I do like the sound he gets out of the bass. Even though I do not play punk it is the sound I would like to get out of my bass rather then this plain unchangable tone that I have now. You wouldn't happen to know how much it would cost to get them installed would you?

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it depends, if you go to a shop with the bass and the pickups and ask them to install for you, they will ask you a price. if you make the installatio at the same shop from which you ordered the pickups the installation will be less expensive, usually. i suggest you to go to a shop near you and ask for both the combination then look at the internet webshops and decide the cheaper way.
    good luck

keep in mind that pickups are a big part of your sound but not the only one, a bog and good amp is really really important!

8. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Depends on what kind of amp you get. But yea I have a local music shop I would like to go to but I don't know which one to go to. But I don't wanna order the pickups from them because I can get a great deal on them from Musicians Friend. ANyway I think I have to wait 1-2 months to get it done.

9. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    ...HELLO! I'm still waiting for an opinion between QTR PNDRs or Fender '62s!

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if you play hardrock go with the DS otherwise i'd suggest the fender.

11. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    woohoo you acidently answered my question. Your model is the Accu-Bass jr.. i got that one. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to mine cause i like its looked. I was wondering why they called it a junior and you said its the newer model thats why. Thats whay I was thinking but wasnt sure.

O and good body choice. 95% percent of reviews on these things says despite its lack of quality electronics the natural sound is great and I quote from several people " Built like a Tank". Really you wouldn't beleive how many people said that exact quote. O and an interesting fact is most found this out by the cheap stap screw braking.