New pickups for Fernandes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kingcakebaby, Dec 20, 2004.

1. kingcakebaby

Sep 20, 2004
    Tiffin, IA
    Hello all....

I have a Fernandes APB-100 5 string that I bought used at GC. I've had it for a few years and love the playability. Ever since I bought it however, there's been some significant amount of noise and low output overall with the stock FGI pickups. I use it mostly for recording in both home and professional studios, although I do play in live situations sometimes and use an Ampeg SVT-III Pro amp.
    I've read almost all of the posts and have learned a great deal, however I'm still undecided about which pickups I want to get. I prefer a very focused and tight tone (moreso than the current stock pups) however, I play a large variety of styles, from country to rock to acoustic folk, both fingerstyle and slapping.
    I noticed that there are many of you that also have Fernandes basses (some, the APB) and have upgraded the stock pups. I would appreciate any and all opinions/suggestions specific to this bass, including how the sound changed compared to the stock pups.