New pickups for my 5 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RookieBassist, Feb 2, 2002.

1. I bought this Ibanez Soundgear 505 a few months ago, and at that time people were telling me that they had wished they kept their 506s and the such and put barts on them. Should I put barts on mine?

If I wanted to replace my two big humbuckers with barts, which model would I get?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Are you thinking about replacing them because you're unhappy with the sound, OR, because Johnny, Justin, Jordan, and Joey did???

If you're happy with the sound, that's all there is to it. You're already there.

If you're not happy with your sound, you should find out what you can about the sound of various buckers from people who own them (like people here).

Those others think they wish they kept their original pups (what did they do? throw `em away???). But there are a lot more options out there than Bartolinis. If they used a different brand, they may have found one that smoked the Ibanez pup.

Here's ONE bass luthier's opinions of various bass pickups by brand -
  3. Well i just found a good thread, I obviously didnt look hard enoughbut this thread here had what I want know.

I think I will go ahead and get a STC-3A (3band for active pickups). Now where is the best place to get one of these from?
  4. I would recommend the EMG 40DC "Extended Series" humbucking pickups.
  5. How similar are those to my ADXs. I just want deeper more tonal lows and crisper mids, etc.But that may also be due to my sh!!ty amp.
  6. At the time I wanted to change out my electronics, I couldn't find Bart pups on their site that would fit my SR-505. I went with Basslines instead and have no regrets at all. I don't know what the magnet configuration is in the Basslines stuff, it would be nice to know but not essential. If you go to the EMG site however, they have much more info on their pups. You'll find that there are EMG's that fit the SR-505 (measurements are on the site) and that you can get P and J magnet configurations. I'm sure that EMG's sound great and that their preamps are very good, lot's of TB'ers use them.
    The Basslines site says their soapbars have split blade magnets so I think that means P. They do come specified as to their position (neck/bridge) though.
  7. The original pickups in your Ibanez are mediocre at best. EMG pickups are far superior. They won't make your bass sound like a $2000 bass but EMGs will be a definite improvement in the sound quality.
  8. sounds changing just my pickups make for a bigger improvement rather than changing just the electronics? If I changed both, what would be a good buy?

Also, where are some retailers that I could buy these products from?
  9. Changing the preamp would be a good idea as well. I would suggest the EMG BTS or the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. You won't go wrong either way.
  10. Based on dealer locations, it seems EMG is the way to go (no Aguilar dealers in your immediate area). EMGs are sold at the following:

Guitar Center
    10050 E. Independance Blvd.
    Mathews, NC
  11. That's why I traded my 885, because the preamp, IMHO, sucked. Popping in a new preamp would do more than putting a new set of p/ups in...
  12. Sweet, that guitar center is pretty close by. Do I have to have them ordered to the store, or do they carry them in stock? well I guess I should ask them that myself...
  13. Yes, the best bet is to call and see if they carry the items in stock.

Do you have a four knob system on your bass (ie; bass, treble, volume, pan)? If so, the EMG "BTS Sytem" is the right preamp for you. If your bass has a 3 knob setup then the "BTC system" is what you want.

As far as pickups, the EMG 40-DC humbucking pickups are the way to go.
  14. I have a 4 knob, (pan, bass, treble, volume)

So all Id have to do would be to buy a pair of EMG 40DCs and an EMG BTS system?
  15. You are correct, that will put you in business!:)
  16. For the pickups themselves, I see
    EMG-40DC (Five String) ........................... 121.00

Is that for 2 of the 40DCs (a pair)? Or just 1 pickup alone.
  17. That is the price for one pickup alone...but that's the list price, not what GC should sell it to you at.
  18. Correct!
    The total retail (list) price for the pair of 40-DC pickups and the BTS System preamp is $342. A fair price total for everything including tax should be about $240.
  19. Ouch, thatll be a birthday present for my poor a**. Oh well! Thanks everyone for helping me out!
  20. Why don't you get the preamp now, it will only cost about $70 and it will make the bass less hissy in the highs and give it a bit more head room. You could always get the pickups later.