Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW pickups for my Cort Curbow?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Keeper, Nov 11, 2000.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey guys!! I was wondering if you could help me out. I recently bought a Cort Curbow 4 string (which I love) but I know that the pickup on it is week. It has one soapbar mighty mite pickup and a 3 band active EQ. What's the best thing that I could put in this puppy to make it sound better? I want to stay with the alternative sound and slap.
    Thanks a bunch!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If I had a Cort Curbow that I wanted to improve the sound of, I would probably look first at the preamp. On a relatively inexpensive active bass, the preamp is usually a fairly inexpensive unit. Bartolini preamps are available and used on high-end instruments. Ditto Seymour Duncan/Basslines and EMG. This might be a good place to start. All these folks make soapbar pickups, too, although I'm not sure of the dimensions of the Mighty Mite. Bartolini makes lotsa sizes anyway.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No.
    The preamp is OK.
    I have a Cort Curbow 6 String with the Same preamp but with a Bartolini Pickup and it is great.
    Model
    Bartolini 72M46TX (6 String 72mm Spacing)
    for you it might be 80M44MX (4 String 80mm Spacing)

I highly recommend it.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well
    Sizes:

EMG40
    Bartolini M4
    Mighty Mite DX5 (This comes with the Cort Curbow 4 and 5 String)
    Mighty Mite ADX5
    They are exactly the same Size.

5. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Thanks for the input so far!!! Any idea on what would be a good EQ / onboard preamp for this bass?
    Thanks!!

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You wont need a new preamp if you get the pickup I told u.
    I have that configuration on my bass

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Look at the Lane Poor website about their pickups and preamp. The word is that these things are melting the covers off of Bartolinis, EMG's and the rest of the neighborhood. Then buy them and tell me how they are so I can decide whether to put them on my LB75 (see my thread in this forum).

8. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Ok, I'm getting it down closer hear. Now, I have to decide two things: Deep tone, brighter tone, or brightest tone, and whether to get dual coil or tri coil. What's the main difference between dual coil and tri-coil? Does anyone know? Is it just how much hum bucking it does? Does it affect the tone that much? If so how?
    Thanks a bunch guys!!