1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Pickups for my Jazz.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DanFold, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Hello all,

I want some new pickups for my American vintage 62 Jazz,
    Don't get me wrong, it sounds good! I usually just keep it on the neck pickup (Just seems to sound better like that with my Orange AD200B)

But, in the studio, I have used a rickenbacker 4001 and some P-bass. The more 'aggressive' sound they have seems to fit the sound i'm looking for more, but i love the feel of my jazz, and i like the look of it.

So, What pickups can you good people of TB suggest for me?
    never bothered looking into pick ups for a while, so i'm not sure whats what anymore!

Thanks.
    Dan.

2. none?

3. mani

mani

Apr 23, 2006
    Tasmania
    Man, one thing this forum has is info on jazz pickups, complete with audio. Get some good headphones and dedicate half a day to research!

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    If your want aggressive Dimarzio Model J's are probably going to be the best bet

5. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I have two Franken-J's, one with pu's from the Fender Custom Shop, and the other has a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set. Both are passive with maple/rosewood necks, but I'm not sure about the bodies - both are heavier than average. The tones I get from these two basses are quite different and I think that most of the contrast comes from the different electronics.

The Fenders deliver a nice authentic single coil sound with lots of mids and when I roll the tone all the way down, it seems to actually boost the high mids just a little more - haven't quite figured that out, but there's a healthy spectrum of sound on tap there.

Having played both instruments at gigs, sometimes on the same night, I'm really enjoying the bigger, bolder, fatter sound that comes from the DiMarzios. With both wide open and the tone backed off, there's a big, round, un-boomy tone that's nice for fingerstyle old school stuff and enough mids for the sound to really occupy its own place in the mix.

I don't slap more than once or twice through an entire show, but if I need to, I just open the tone up a little and let it fly. Sounds wonderful! I may try a set of the Model J's eventually to see how much of a vintage tone they put out, but these relatively unexotic Ultra-J's have pretty much put my quest for useful tone to rest. I can take them from mellow to angry with only a tweak of a knob or two and I'll sometimes even play in "who needs a P-bass" mode by soloing the neck pickup

DiMarzio = Bang for the Buck!.