New pickups for my Vintage (Active pickup bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Right i have a Vintage v905 4 string active pickup bass, and the sounds isnt as good as it wus when i first got it, cud this be the batteries need changing or, the pickups hacve gone ****, i havent changed the strings on this bass for a year and neither the batteries for the active pickups, can anyone point out the problem, cos i think i have mis understood something completely obvious here but im not a bass expert can anyone tell me what..?

2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Without a more detailed description of the problem, it sounds like you're probably on the right track already. First, depending on the acidity (pH) or your sweat, how much you play, and the brand of strings, year-old strings could have a significant negative impact on tone. Also, while one year shouldn't kill your battery, it probably would if you left your bass on or plugged in a long time. Whenever your bass is plugged in, the battery is "active" and working. If you have an active bass, have the bass plugged into the amp, and set it down to go watch TV, the battery will continue to waste away.

As far as pickups are concerned.....they usually don't "go bad". However, your taste in music or the tone you're looking for may have changed in the past year and what sounded good to you a year ago might not sound as good to you now. Hope that helps.