Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pickups help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Ok. I've got a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 4-string bass and it is really nice but I'm thinking about improving its sound even more with some new/better pickups. It has basically 2 humbucker type pickups simmilar looking to EMG 40s. I play mostly Rock/metal and am looking for something that can get a good growling sound but also a very smooth sound for softer stuff. I'd like to know if you have any reccommendations. Also, would I need new electronics to go with the new pickups? It currently has active electronis with a 3 band eq a master volume and a pickup pan knob.

Thanks

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The first trick will be locating pickups that fit the current routs. If nothing is an exact match then it is going to get expensive to have them installed. Your first step should be to see if anyone makes a pickup to fit.

That said, if they are the EMG 40 size then you are looking at choosing either Bart or EMG. Barts tend to be very warm and EMGs tend to be brighter.

Another thing to think about is the bass itself. Not every bass will give you a great growl no matter what the electronics are. The construction of the bass including the wood types will have an impact. So, you may not be able to get a great growl out of that bass.

Lastly your technique will have an impact as well. If you pluck closer to the bridge, you will get more growl.

Best of luck.

3. Thanks, I'll try measuring the cavity and checking out other pickup sizes. The woods used are pretty good as far as I can tell. Swamp Ash Body, 7-piece neck (3 maple and 4 walnut laminates) Neck through, Rosewood fingerboard.