1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pickups in old bass or new bass (SR500)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nearpoint, Aug 20, 2012.

1. nearpoint

nearpoint

Aug 20, 2012
    Hey everyone,

So I am planning on getting a new bass. Most likely the Ibanez SR500, I will be upgrading from the Ibanez Gio ($199) starter bass.

The size of the neck and body is about the same so I was wondering, would I be better spending a lot of money on good pickups and have them installed in the old bass? Or would it be worth it to buy the new SR500?

If I could get great sound just by upgrading the pickups, then I am all for that as I don't mind the body of the Gio, but the sound with current pickups is horrible compared to SR500.

2. Take it from someone who's spent a lot of money upgrading a cheap instrument. I have a ESP B-155 bass. It's a cool bass for the price. But I think I've spent too much money upgrading the components on it. I've put Gotoh tuners, got a new nut, routed the bass for EMG J pickups and also put in Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. It sounds great btw, my bass. But I would in hindsight had saved up for a new kickass bass.

Having said all of this, I want to go on record and say that my bass sounds a million times better than it did when I bought it new.

Your call man. I had a lot of fun doing all these upgrades and one definite advantage was that I had an almost new sounding instrument but retained the feel of the bass that I was so used to playing.

I think buying a better bass gets you things that can't be replaced. Like better build quality. This is something to consider. Just my $ 0.02 all of this.

Good luck!

3. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    Modding a bass can be a worthy endeavor with some instruments, but I think the sound and feel of the SR500 is going to be vastly superior off the shelf. If you are totally in love with how your instrument feels and plays, but are unsatisfied with the sound, that would be the time to mod. I don't think you should view it as an alternative to getting a better bass

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You'd be wasting your money upgrading the cheap old bass. The SR500 will not even be comparable off the shelf and after playing a somewhat decent bass you won't want to go back to a GSR.

Truthfully I think your wasting your money buying an SR500 but some folks seem to enjoy them. I like basses that can be intonated though...

5. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    LOL, what? :rollno:

I don't know what bass you've tested (if any), but SR500 is a very good instrument. It has no intonation issues whatsoever.

Sorry but you've either played a lemmon, or you don't know what you're talking about.

6. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    IF you leave a cable plugged into the SR500 wlll it drain the battery? Any way of getting around that? Also, will an SR500 play at all without a battery? Thanks guys!

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Yes, it will drain the battery. It's not an issue if you just leave it plugged in during a rehearsal break, but if you leave the cable plugged in for days, the battery goes dead in a few weeks. Don't worry though, a good battery will last for almost a year under normal playing conditions.

No, the bass won't play without a battery. Always have a fresh one ready.