new pickups on a '64 fender P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chog, Mar 19, 2003.

1. chog

Sep 4, 2000
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm looking a buying a '64 Fender L series Precision Bass with Alembic P & J Bass pickups. I've always wanted an old fender because they sound so damn good and I was just wondering if the alembic pickups would have a negative affect on the vintage fender sound. Thanks.

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    "Would it have a negative affect on the vintage sound?" I'd say it definitely would simply because the bass now has both P and J pups in it...A precision is only suppose to have the one pup in it.

The feel of a '64 would be nice, if you like the sound, and if the price is cheap since someone routed a hole in the body, then go for it.
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    "Negative effect on the vintage sound". It might have.. Alembic pickups are supposed to be quite transparent and uncoloured.. Depending on what electronics are in there, alembics are know for their versatility.. A q-filter can be very versatile.. So it probably won't sound like it did back in 64, it probably won't sound bad either.
  4. The only thing that truly sounds like a P, is a P.

Not a P/J, or EMG, or active.
    Not a Duncan Hot P, or Quarter-Pounder, or DiMarzio DP146.

If you really want a P tone, stick with the Fender pickup, or the Duncan Vintage P. The hotter pickup do not "thump" which is integral with the P tone.