Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new pickups or new amp for better tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by a e i o u, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Right now I am playing a geddy lee bass through a BDDI and ampeg b2r. i dont really like the tone. today i played a MIA jazz through a fender bassman 400 and llllooovvveddd the tone, then i played a geddy lee through it and the tone was boring. is it smart to get new pickups? do you think people would buy my stock geddy lee pickups if i replace them with upgraded ones?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats kind of odd, because to my knowledge,both those basses have US vintage style pickups.

IMHO/IME I have found that most standard Fender basses can benefit from a pickup change. Exactly what you should get-well, thats very subjective. All depends on what kind of sound you're after.

You should check out Smash's mega thread on J style pickups he's tried. I believe he used a '74 Jazz for the test vehicle, so you may find that very helpful.

As far as someone buying you're current pickups-somebody upgrading a standard MIM jazz would probably jump right on those.

As for what I use in my MIM jazz basses;
    Fretted has DiMarzio Ultrajazz, connected to push'pull volume pots, for parallel/series option(highly recommended)

Fretless has Dimarzio Model J's. I didn't wire those up for series/parallel, but I find that parallel works great for these(although you can wire for series/parallel)

Pbass deluxe has Nordstrands-that bass has flats, and was set up for a more vintage sound. They're more pricey, but the Nordstrands are a great choice too.

Hope that helps!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Sounds pretty normal to me. Each bass has different acoustic properties and some basses gell well and some don't. One bass sounds great through one amp and sucks through another. Strings, your taste at the moment, room acoustics, and a myriad of other variables come into play. I've even noticed the air (temp, humidity, etc.) affects tone. Another critical element is the music you play to. A bass solo sound may sound incredible but be totally useless with a band.

But I had a set of Geddy's and for me they were too bright. US 1's too dark. Marcus Millers were more balanced which suited my taste and rigging better. Even two sets of identical pups won't necessarily sound the same. I had two sets of Marcus Millers and they were very similar but definetly not identical - all variables but pups held constant.

As for a change, pups are a lot cheaper than an amp. But I would keep the Geddy's cause when you sell the bass the buyer will want the original pups - and you might change rigging at some point and have exactly the opposite experience.