new pickups or new bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Well i have a unsatisfactory epiphone thunderbird and i am wondering... should I bother getting new pickups or getting a new bass? I know this is your opinion but i am interested in what you think. :help:
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    New pickups. It's cheaper. If you don't like the way it sounds, sell it and buy something different. My $.02 anyway...
  3. Hey man, i'm in the exact same position as you right now, as I have a Thunderbird, and it's just not cutting it right now. I don't mean to hi-jack the thread or anything, but what kind of pickups would be good for a more agressive sound? Any ideas would really help!

Thanks in advance

4. SullyB

Nov 22, 2005
    Bartolini makes a pickup replacement for the Thunderbird. And for an agressive sound, check out Tim King's soudn with Soil. He uses a T-bird with EMG pickups and a Tech 21 amp setup.
  5. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I would make my vote EMG's. EMG's will sound good on ply wood (probably). But, they definatly make just about any guitar/bass sound better. I had a p/j EMG'd P bass. Lets just say i really really miss that bass, the tone was very rocky, and cut extremely well.
  6. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've never done it w/ a bass, I'm happy w/ my basses. But I did do it w/ a Mexican Strat. I put Seymour Duncan JB jr.s in it and it sounds wonderful. I won't sell it because I can't get what it's worth to me. It sounds that good.
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My take on this subject. How does the bass sound acoustically? If a bass doesn't rattle my rib cage without an amp, especially the first 5 frets on the E string, I won't buy it in the first place. Its the old adage you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. That aside, if the bass sounds great acoustically then I will change out the pickups if they are not reproducing what I am hearing/feeling without an amp. JMHO
  8. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    it really all depends on how much you like the feel and playability of the bass. if its everyone you could want, except its not getting the tone you envison, its worth the new pups/eq.

however, if you cant stand how it feels, new pickups won't change anything.

so basically it comes down to that. i had the same dilemna with my ibanez. i'm thinking of splurging on some passive emg's myself to replace the ibanez dxp, dxjs i have on there.
  9. Personally, and it is just me here, I say sell it. If you've gotten to the level of playing where you're lower level bass isnt pulling it, then take a step up. Even if your on a limited budget, theres lots of options out there. The Bass Company sell basses for around 400 that should cost around 1,000. Fender Geddy Lee jazz basses are good, not thier best, but above average quality for around 700. You can look in the classifieds on here or in local shops for used instruments.
  10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee