New Pickups or New Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazzBass4life, Feb 28, 2002.

1. JazzBass4life

Oct 22, 2001
    Hingham MA
    Hello all!
    I Own a fairly new Squier Jazz Bass. I dont mind it. I also have a Warwick Thumb 5 which i purchased after selling my Fender. Right now im kinda on a low budget and i need a decent four string. Would new basslines pickups for the jazz bass help? what kind? (i play alot of slap/pop technique but i dont want it to be to raspy) Or should i just wait and get a new bass? any help would be great!
  2. If you can afford it, new bass. If not, new pickups. A set of Dimarzio Ultrajazz pups suggests itself.
  3. I'd second the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz recommendation if you play a lot of slap and pop; these pickups have loads 'o' bite, but aren't overly harsh. If I had a JAzz Bass, I would put the DiMarzio Model P's in, only cause I almost never slap or pop and I like the warm, punchy fingerstyle tone that the Model P's deliver. But for you, I would recommend the Ultra Jazz.

I think that getting pickups would definitely improve your tone. Get some good nickel roundwounds, like some DR 45-105's (personally i like a 110 E-string) and put the Ultra Jazz in and you should be impressed. I think If you put stainless steel roundwounds and the Ultra JAzz in the combination of the two would be WAY TOO WAY TOO BRIGHT AND HARSH, but that's just IMO. These upgrades shouldn't cost more than around ~$120 (90-100 for pickups, 20-25 for strings maybe), which is cheap for the improvement in tone you should notice. If you want to spend ~$400-450, get an MTD Kingston 4; I'm getting a Kingston 5 (maple fretboard, snow pearl finish :) ) in like a year. It is one of the best $500 dollar basses ever. And you will notice noticeably better playability and more solid construction than on the Squiers (although Squiers are decent for the $$$ IMO).

Hope I helped. I love to rant. :D :p :rolleyes: