New Pickups with Clicking Problem.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StPeteSix, Jul 1, 2005.

1. :help: I recently wanted to upgrade my Fender MIM Jazz bass and so installed some new pickups, specifically, Fender Jazz Noiseless Pups. This was my first time actaully soldering my bass so using a 40 watt pen i got at radio shack I started.

It took me all of 30 minutes as i was careful not to burn the pots to a crisp. I plugged it in and noticed the hum reduction especially when singleing one pickup(as these pickups advertise). but there was a horrible catch. as i was playing i noticed a horrible sounding clicking sound.

The clicking only happens when i put my hands off all components the strings and everything, play an open string and touch it. small pop or click is heard through the bass, that stays the same no matter the volume level. even with both pickups set to 0. Its annoying me considering when i have to dampen an open string. it is also ear shattering. I did not have this problem with the mexican pickups.

I'd also like to add that along with the popping there is a strong hum when i am not touching the bass aswell. but this was just as apparent with the mexican stock pickups

I think this is a grounding problem considering the fact that it is always there no matter the volume... any advise would help me a lot as I installed these for a gig I play on the 4th.

(Edit: by the way, as i did not know what i was doing, i did not clean off the pots exsisting solder i just heated it up, removed the old ones and put the new pups in. The pickups were also rewired and replaced by a professional a few months back for 30 bucks with no clicking. There is no shielding on this bass.)
  2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario