new pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jul 19, 2005.

1. I want to replace the pups on the MIM Fender Jazz, but I usually use the bridge pup for a growly sound. Can I replace just that pup? And by "can" I mean would it be wise and reasonable? I don't have much money, and if buying one is really all I need then I'd love to save ~60 dollars. Plus, I've heard that on newer Fender Jazz models the Bridge pup is the same size as the neck pup. Would this mean I should buy a neck pup for it or are the wirings different? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm semi ignorant of bass matters.
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Yes, it's possible to have a successful replacement of just one p/u. Getting a consistent vol/tone from the two is in the eye of the beholder and will vary greatly depending on the exact p/u you swap out with.

As for p/u size ... I haven't heard of any J bass where two neck p/u's were used. I have heard of basses utilizing two bridge p/u's, though. It's easy enough to measure to length of each p/u cover and then reference them against the standard J p/u lengths. On a standard arrangement, your neck p/u should be a little shy of 3-5/8" (3.6" real value) and the bridge should be a little shy of 3-3/4" (3.735" real value)