Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spalka621, Oct 16, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    im getting new pickups for a bass im refinishing and wanted some ideas on which pickups to get.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, that's a really broad question with little information to help us help you
    1) what type of bass is this?
    2) What pickups are in it?
    3) What don't you like about the current sound?
    4) What sound are you going for?

It may be something as simple as changing strings or raising pickup height to get you the sound you want.

3. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well its an old 80's aria THE CAT bass. I got it for free and it didnt have pickups. Im looking for a warm sound and the bass is set up in a P+J style.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    warm is a pretty nebulous term, even trebly pickups can be made to sound warm by turning down the tone control.

That being said, maybe give barts a try. They do a p/j set, and they have a slightly muted high end.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you wanna shoot the moon, maybe a Dark Star and a good J pupo or a bit of routine and a pair of Dark Stars... I have yet to hear one live as there is a 3 week wait at the moment, but I should have one mounted up in a week or so if Fred is on time... you can get more info at www.basspickup.com. The boys at The Dudepit are pretty much gaga over that pickup. So are the guy from Wilco and Justin Medal Johnson from all reports and the folks at Lakland are on board as well. That's a pretty broad range of style between JMJ and Wilco which I find intriguing.

David's suggestion of the Bart isn't a bad one either. I use their 9J set in my #1 J bass. The neck pup is essentially Bart's implementation of a P bass spilt coil, in a J housing. Very smooth and even response. A little dark which for that particular instrument is a blessing. 1 pc Swamp Ash body, Bad Ass bridge is quite bright to say the least... The Bart's make it civilized...