Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hey i have a epiphone thunderbird bass :bassist: that i just got a month ago. I am new at bass and im interested in replacing the stock pickups. I looked at musicians friend and found a bunch but i dont know if it matters which one i get. is there a certain type i have to get? :help: :confused:

2. nothing?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

All pups don't sound alike, fit your bass, or fit your needs.

Measure the dimensions of your pups.

Unless you want to carve your bass up, you can throw out pups that don't fit the routings - will probably be about 95% or more of them.

For the roughly 5% of those that will fit, go to the related site and read what the manufacturer has to say, do a search for reviews on them.

Draw your conclusions, pick your pup, and try it and see what happens.

I would also go to harmonycentral.com and read reveiws on your bass and see what players have to say about it. There may be some who have changed pups and will say as much. If nobody's changed pups and the "sound ratings" are high, you may want to rethink changing the pups.

4. thanks but why do you call them pups?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Short for pickups. PickUPS. Common terminology in the US.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Is there a particular reason you're dead set on changing the pickups?

If you're new to playing bass, practice will do more for your sound than new pickups.

Alternatively, try different types of strings or raising / lowering your pickup heights. Both of these things have huge impact on your sound

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Listen to luknfur, he's spent more time swapping pickups than anyone else :p

I also agree with David, a smart smart man. Do you feel your tone is lacking? Or do you just want to change things up for no apparent reason?

8. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    You mentioned that you're new to bass, so a weak link here might be your amp as well. What kind of rig are you running through?

9. to answer your questions, My bass teacher said that he thought they needed to be replaced. I am going through a Gallien Krueger backline (250 head, 115 cab) My Bass Teacher actually liked my amp so much He went and got one. Even though its a backline, it still is very good. Yeah I know pretty much everything effects my tonee but I think my teacher is right. Is there any good pickups that will fit mine? How do I know if they are good?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Gallien makes some good gear, but can be easy to mess up your tone. How do you have your EQ set?

Why did your teacher say they need to be replaced? Do you perhaps take lessons at a store where the teacher has incentive to pursuade you to buy pickups?

11. hhow should i set up my eq? I just play around till I like the sound. No, I take private lessons. I don't know why I guess I should ask.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You should use what sounds best to you, but I recommend, especially with GK to leave the EQ flat with only slight boosts in the bass or treble or wherever needed. I used to get muddy sounds out of even the brightest, most modern basses before I understood how to use a GK EQ.

How is yours set?

13. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    Yea, GK makes good stuff. I run through an 800rb myself. It is interesting that your teacher thinks you need new pups though...I'm thinking along the lines of tplyons on this one. I would ask your teacher why he/she thinks you need new pups myself, just to see what his reason is.

One thing though, are you runing through your backline rig during your lesson or are you running through a small practice amp at the place you get lessons? I've not taken many lessons, but the ones I have I never took my own rig to. If your playing through a small practice amp at the lesson I'm sure you won't sound as good as you will through your GK rig.

Personally, I would spend $30 on a new set of strings before I spent $200 on a new set of pups. A better set of strings may suprise you with the difference that they'll might make. Another option is to installed a new pre-amp in it and keep the original pups. When/if you sell the bass you can keep the pre and use it in another bass.

Dave

14. Lucky.

Well thanks for your advice I will ask him why when I have my lesson.