Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Pickups?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Hey everyone. I'm trying to figure out what to get next. I currently have an Ibanez GSR200 and an Ampeg B2 Combo. Two things I really wants are a 4x10 extension cab and a new bass. I was wondering if new pickups would help out my sound because right now I get a bad "pop" and buzz from my pickups and am overall displeased with my bass sound after trying out many nicer basses. Then I would have the money for a new cab too. Any help and or advice on pickups in that area will be greatly appreciated..thanks

2. I've never liked ibanez....can never get a decent tone from them. I'd get another bass. i have a MIM jazz, and th etone is incredible!!!!! IMHO

3. oops..sorry for putting this into the wrong forum..if a moderater could move this into the pickup form that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's just a cheap bass Socal. There's no two ways about it. Of course, the standard GSR uses microphonic pickups, so it stands that you might get a lot better sound outta the sucker...but, if you're getting it pops and buzzes, try adjusting the action a bit, or if you're really serious about it, take it into a repair shop, and make sure all the frets are level (my fifth fret is high on the G, so it buzzes when I play the fifth fret...)

So, it's your call. Or, if the pups are giving you a lot of grief, see if you can find some plasic pickup covers (sorry, don't know who sells them, but I've seen them around) so that the pole peices aren't exposes, and the strings can pop on them.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm guessin' here :D, but I think the consensus is that
    Ibanez' are fine but sometimes the electronics are crap.

Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, and EMG make P+J sets.
    Also, EMG's "Select" set (@ Stew-Mac) is a low-cost
    alternative. Maybe the best considerin' the initial cost of
    the bass.

I'm lookin' to try a DiMarzio Split-P and Ultra-Jazz
    on a Yamaha`270F. Accordin' to the D/M site, they
    have equivalent outputs (~250mV). No worries
    RE mis-match :).

Whew! :D Thanx for chimin' in Brendan. I've sworn-off
    Ibanez and I'm glad somebody who has one piped-up :).
    Those covers can be had at WD -- (click). $5 / pop.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I own a GSR, and I'm darned proud. Mostly because I was about a coin flip away from a Rogue...so between the two, I feel I made the right choice (well, it was either bass, or bass and amp, and I chose just the bass, lucky me)

and RE the pup covers...I KNEW they existed...I got kinda worried, I haven't seen them in forever...

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    [​IMG] Cool beans! (Ahh! That dern Gabu :p ) . I bet I'm
    just as proud o' my Yammer `260F. Hell, I wanna' 270F :D.

`Course, I dunno if "pride" will cover it with my R/A double.
    (maybe like your DP custom? :) ).

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think that you would be suffiencently correct with that assumption.

That DP is gonna WASTE that poor old POS...Uh, GSR...but, all is not lost. I'm gonna take that bad boy to a luthier, have the frets and neck cleaned up all purdy, then I'm going to buy a warmoth body, and some new hardware/nut for the neck and I'm treating that neck to a new body/life. I love that neck, so She WILL live on in a Warmoth Frankenbass.