new pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bste9, Jul 26, 2000.

1. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I'm looking at the tobias pro 5 on for the price its such a tempting deal). Ive done some research and have found that the pickups seem to be its weak link. What would be somegood pickups as a replacement and how much would they set a poor college kid back? thanks for amy input.
  2. Judging from the style of music that you prefer to play, I'd recommend a set of EMG DC-40 pickups. EMGs have a bright and agressive sound (with lots of lows of course) that cater to funk/slap, alternative and metal music. Because they have an active preamp, they are super quiet as well. Check out for more info. Two DC-40's should set you back about $170. You can buy cheaper pickups but if you want quality, this is what you need!
  3. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    hey Mr. Dead, thanks much for the input and the link.
  4. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bste9:
    hey Mr. Dead, thanks much for the input and the link.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My pleasure!

5. graceonbass

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm a bit new at this but are there any other options for pickups that will fit in a Toby Pro-5 besides the EMG DC40's (to upgrade from the stock pickups)? What are some pickups that give natural/woody sounds? the Pro-5 has 2 pickups. can you put 2 different pickups on the bass? thanks
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Before plunking down your money on the pickups, you might want to bypass the active electronics. That's usually where all the life is squeezed out of the sound, especially in thar price range.

Will C.:cool: