1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pictures of my doubleneck : WARNING BIG PICS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 4, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it's been a long time since i took good pics of my doubleneck, and i've been tired of posting the same ones over and over. so here's some new ones i took yesterday - bigger pics are linked below the images.

doubleneck%20full%20body1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck full body.jpg

doubleneck%20close%20body1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck close body.jpg

doubleneck%20closeup%20fretted1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck closeup fretted.jpg

doubleneck%20closeup%20fretless1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck closeup fretless.jpg

and just because the back is so cool too...

doubleneck%20full%20back1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck full back.jpg

doubleneck%20close%20back1.
    http://lordonly.net/images/john/doubleneck close back.jpg

2. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    :eek: :bawl: :eek: How much does that beast weight??? Bet it sounds killer!

3. Incredible bass. Absolutely incredible.

This is one of the first Conklins that I ever saw and one of the first ERBs, and I can definitely say that it had a huge impact on my desire to pick up ERBs (and to GAS for a Conklin), even before I knew who you were, JT.

4. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    What did it cost lol

5. Normally, I'm a four string guy, but I'd buy that just to astound people. I'd get 3x snide comments (1x ERB, 1xFretless, 1xDoubleneck). John, I love your bass collection. You should show us more of the doubleneck Ric!

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks guys :D it does sound awesome, one of my best sounding instruments. worth every pound, so to speak :D.

heh. it's funny, whenever i would have this bass in public, at namm shows or gigs, the folks that would come up to me would all ask one or more of the -same- 3 questions (this has been consistent ever since i picked up the instrument in jan '97) :

1. how much does it weigh (24 pounds, almost exactly)

2. how much did it cost (the posted price from bill conklin when i picked it up was $10,000 (not what i paid) - i'm sure it would be substantially more expensive now, ~13 years later, especially since bill is booked solid in builds).

3. who's your chiropractor? don't have an answer for this - never went to one :).

i used to joke with bill conklin, would say i needed to get a shirt with the 3 answers on it, on the back, and nothing else. just point over the shoulder whenever someone asked :D the FAQ list. :hyper:

and yeah, i do need to post more, updated, pics of my ric. that thing is beautiful too.

7. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    It's not my cup of tea, but I completely applaud the luthiery that has gone into that instrument, it's truly a work of art.

I have to ask though John, do you get much chance to play that out?;)

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    I would have put more than 4 screws to hold on those necks ...

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not much lately, but when lord only was gigging i used it a lot. it records well too.

oh, and ;) . ( :confused: ).

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why? that's all bill conklin has ever used on bolton 7's, including the groove tools. never has had a single problem that i've heard of.

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Perhaps he comes from the Ritter school of thought.

Nice bass. If you had gone headless/reliced that bass would have been the single most polarising bass on TB.

12. Simply amazing. Love the Roland GK unit. If this is not the extreme of bass diversity, I don't know what is. Via MIDI, you can literally be an instrument you desire.

Remember: "With great power comes great responsibility" (Spiderman)

13. Jeez, that thing is huge!

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i certainly respect that pov, but i don't think it's necessary.

heh yeah, especially if i had one half of the body shaped like a bongo, and the other with a composite neck. :bag:

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Time to ring up Bill?:D

Ohh, and add in a Traben bridge somewhere, while you're at it!

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh yeah, i have the rmc synth/piezo 13-pin setup in both of my 8 strings and both my hollowbody 7's. back when lord only was gigging, in 2004, i had been talking to chris benevente to retro fit the rmc polydrive units in both necks of this instrument too (bill conklin had been too busy for a long time to do something like this, and i totally trust chris benevente to take care of this) - the gk is fine, but the polydrive is really where it's at, imo, as far as synth stuff is concerned. the day one of the guitarists quit in a huff was the same day i had talked to chris to actually send the bass lol. the timing was good - would've been an expensive waste back then.

i might still do this some day, don't know.

lol awesome. :hyper:

17. fractal0243

fractal0243

Nov 26, 2007
    Syracuse, NY
    That's what she said.

Sweet looking bass.. I wouldn't know what the heck to do with that besides drool.

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ouch my back hurts just looking that bad boy...

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Excuse my dumbness but what's the thing by the bridge? and don't you dare say pickups!

I would like to see more of the geddy-like bass and your 4 string jazz (stated on your TB homepage)

20. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    What I meant was, that's got to weigh a ton. Sets must be pretty short, huh? ;)