Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pictures of my gear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 13, 2006.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Got some new equipment recently...time to update the insurance. Not the biggest/baddest gear collection, but I love every individual piece. I got everything used and heavily discounted.

[​IMG]

1999 Turner Electroline 534 PM2. Ordered by PlayTheBass, previously owned by Justyn. Loving it! The 34" scale is nice, and the finish is exactly what I would have ordered. It has beautiful side dots for every fret position, which is nice, but I'm used to side markers to mark octave, fourth, etc so occasionally I'm playing the wrong note (in tune). Just got it, so I'll get used to it. I'm thinking this is a keeper...excellent playability and beautiful tone. Keeps up with the Ritter in every way, but offers its own personality. It had a long stay at Casa Turner for a setup, refinish, and controls update.

2003 Ritter Classic 5. I've said plenty about this one. It's tops and it's never going anywhere.

1948 Kay Orchestra Bass. I need to get the fingerboard planed or replaced sometime, but this is also will always be with me. Sounds great, and was a present from my wife a few years ago. My technique still leaves much to be desired...will startup lessons again once my life settles down a bit.

Fernandes Precision copy (MIJ, date unknown). Got this recently. A great cheapie that I'm still setting up. It's fun to have, and CAR P basses rock. The SX killer. ;)

Phil Jones Bass M500, 6T, 9B. After lots of searching and trying other brands, this rig stood out as the sound I'm after. No complaints whatsoever on this rig.

Unfortunately, I'm not playing out these days (quit my band in August and don't want to join anything for at least 6 months while I bond with my daughter and finish my dissertation), so I probably won't hear this stuff with a band for some time. Only the Ritter has seen it's share of stage time with me.

Additional pictures just for fun are below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Marshall :)

2. You probably hear this alot but that is the nicest ritter EVER!!

I like the Amp set up if you got time you should post a review;) . I really want to know what that ritter sounds like with 15,8in speakers. (overkill??)

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sweet rig/s Marshall!!!

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wow i have never seen that rig before, reviews!

5. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks!

The speakers are actually 5", believe it or not. I wrote some impressions here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202560

But basically, it's a great clear full-range set up, which is perfect for my combination of basses. Plenty of bass, but more high-mids than many bassists are probably used to. I hear lines more clearly than with my previous set ups...the good/bad thing about that is that mistakes/sloppiness will show! I almost always play it flat, but if I'm going for a vintage vibe, I cut out some high-mids. I like that I can split up the cabinets for practice/smaller gigs. Since it's solid state, there's no tube overdrive, but I never used that with my previous setups anyway. The individual components are pretty heavy, but since it's not big, it's not that awkward...beats lugging my old Eden 410xlt and Crest poweramp. Since I haven't played it on stage yet, I can't give a more full review than that.

M

6. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Your Ritter looks great. I like the burst finish on it a lot. Nice Kay too.

7. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    What year is that Ritter? I can't look at a Ritter without getting really bad GAS pains.

And how loud does that Phil Jones get? I saw the bassist with Hella had some Phil Jones cabs, and he wasn't loud at all. You couldn't hear him.

8. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey BassNoob,

The Ritter is 2003; I've had it since 2004.

The PJB gets plenty loud for my purposes, but I don't see myself playing very large venues without PA support. The clubs I've played are indoors with a sound guy (except the occasional coffee house). When I first got it, I didn't think it was that loud, and then figured out that I had the input sensitivity too low. I've never really pushed it, but I'd guess it's not the loudest rig I've ever owned. The head is only 500 watts, but the speakers seem very efficient. If I were to make a guess, I'd blame the Hella show on bad house sound or something. Even if the amp isn't super loud, it's hard to miss because it's so (I know it's a cliche) defined...But again, I haven't gigged with it yet so I could be off.

Marshall

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks...I never see other "plain" Kay Orchestra basses. It has lots of wear and a clean neck repair, but really projects a full sound. The person who I bought it from thought it was from the seventies.:rollno:

Marshall

10. Killer rig Marshall!

Ritters are teh best :)

11. Hey! REAL PEOPLE use PJB! Who would thunkit.....:p

looks awesome, man!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sweet ritter :)

13. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +100000000 That's really the only reason I stopped by your thread here, to see that lovely Ritter. :)

*Coughgas!ahemCOUGH* :meh:

14. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I was surprised to find one in the flesh too.

M

15. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks everybody. I thought I might get a fretless Ritter, but decided to get this instead (while I'm showing pics!):
    [​IMG]

Which is also why I'm awake at 3:45 AM...

Marshall

16. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    [​IMG]

Nice rig Marshall, and congratulations on the baby! :smug:

17. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Nice rig, bigger than mine :lol:

18. sweet collection Marshall :)

19. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Jack, I think you nailed what my daughter was thinking when I took that picture...:meh:

Anyone fretless afficianados owe it to themselves to check out a Turner Electroline if it's in their budget.

M

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice rig Marshall. Extremely interesting amp, I have never seen anything like that before. But with that Ritter in the picture...................:cool: ;)

And I never did get a chance to say congrats on the baby, I know your daughter was born not too long after mine was, so congratulations a bit late.:)