1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New! Pirastro Perpetual Double Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by luisraulmunoz, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Hi, I was reading lemurs music's Instagram feed from isb convention and the received a new set from Pirastro called perpetual. I believe they are synthetic but there's not much info other than "easy bow response, medium tension and great pizz, punchy with sustain"

Anyone has more info?

Winoman likes this.
  2. Miles Brown

Miles Brown

Jun 6, 2019
    Yes! Yesterday I tried five basses at the ISB convention that were outfitted with these strings. They are similar to Spirocores, but they are kinder to the bow. Straight out of the package, they were very loud and growly, but still had a nice, though bright, arco sound. They really did remind me of Spiros. Very punchy, especially on the E string.

Ed from Pirastro said they are patterned after the Perpetual cello string, and a couple of folks said they are Pirastro’s attempt to reboot the “Jazzer” series.

The G string was a little thin and nasally around third position, but this may even out as the strings settle in. They’re so new, that only time will tell! I’m pretty sure they’re not commercially available yet, but I plan to give them a shot when they are.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Nooooope Noooooope NOOOOOOOOPE.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    New strings are so much fun!!!

El Thumpo likes this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I won’t try them. I resisted the Polychromes I can resist this too...

Steve Boisen and JC Nelson like this.
  6. I sent an email to Pirastro about this! :)

7. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

8. Thanks for the update! So I take it they are not synthetic core and geared towards pizz/hybrid jazz player right?
    Enjoy the convention!

9. Miles Brown

Miles Brown

Jun 6, 2019
    Yes. Steel core, not synthetic. It was a blast!

luisraulmunoz likes this.
  10. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    I played a bass or two with the mystery yellow silk windings as well. Nice strings for pizz. Did not have a bow handy though.

11. Just got a reply from Pirastro, and have the permission to quote the reply here:

12. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Ugh. Not again.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    YELLOW silks is reason enough not to buy them...well, I might need to see that silk...might be a cool gold-yellow and that'd be reason enough to try them.

14. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm ... interested.

Yellow silks don't bother me. Silk color is always very low on my list of string anxt. I used Permanents for a while, which also have yellow silks. If I like how they play and feel, then even if I hated the color, I would get over it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Unbrokenchain likes what he hears

16. HCF

HCF All your bass are belong to us Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:,

Thank you , that's all.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  17. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    "They are similar to Spirocores, but they are kinder to the bow"

is like "my bass only louder", a phrase that has lost all meaning. Never turns out to be true and I'm convinced that a) Spirocores and are not as bad to bow as people say and b) is not really what people want anyway.

My bass falls in between optimal Spirocore tensions or I would use them and sometimes I still do, but I prefer Pirastro Jazzers (on my bass). I like the E/A strings better than the D and don't like the G at all (again, on my bass). Synthetic core strings have all disappointed me. The idea of a new Pirastro rope core string as described is exciting to me. We'll see.

Mgaisbacher and Sam Dingle like this.
  18. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I tried these strings at the convention. The Pirastro rep said they didn't want to describe these as jazz strings because they didn't want to limit their market. He gave the example that when they put the word "slaps" on the Evah Pirazzi Slaps, they lost a lot of money because a lot of players dismissed them as a slap only string.
    To me they sounded very close to a Spirocore. Tension felt lower, they had a looser feel. Definitely not a bow friendly string. I wouldn't consider them a good hybrid string unless you consider Spirocore hybrid.

19. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I wish I had tried these out at the convention. I think a new jazz friendly Pirastro set with a steel core is a welcome addition to their range. I’m certainly looking forward to trying them out.

20. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    If these work well for some people and their basses that's awesome! But I'm gonna keep to my beloved Spirocores.

james condino and Sam Dingle like this.