1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New PJ set for a Peavey Forum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by socialleper, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I have a 90s US Peavey Forum that I put a GZR set in, and I'm just not digging it. They aren't as beefy as I would like, and the J pickup is too thin sounding. It doesn't sound like a typical jazz bridge pickup at all.
    So I am looking for some new passive pickups to put in the bass. They don't need to be a "set", or even both be from the same manufacturer, my only stipulation is that the J pickup be noise cancelling so when it is soloed it doesn't buzz. I tried a Dimarzio DP126 set in there. The lows were good, but they are pretty dark and didn't have the bite I wanted.
    I'm looking for a Jimmy Bain, Duff on Appetite, or Ellefson on Peace Sells kind of tone.
    Suggestions?
    Please and thank you.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m thinking a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Precision, and a STK-J2b (pickup used by Duff), or Apollo Jazz bridge pickup.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I was definitely thinking about the STK-J2b.
    Would a vintage voiced pickup like a SPB-1 have enough punch?

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Only you know how much “punch” is enough. Duff uses a stock Fender Precision pickup, and the SPB-1 will be brighter than the Model P, so I thought it was a decent suggestion. Maybe the Steve Harris SPB-4 is worth a try.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    As far as 'punch' goes, it means something different for everyone. If you are looking to get the sound of a vintage P, then yes..if you need more output to hit the amp more, than probably not. The SPB-4 is a better choice or even the regular Quarter Pounds, which have 'punch' for days.

Slater likes this.