1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Plan: Smaller Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bett, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I was originally thinking of making a bass at some point that I was going to base off my Peavey T-40. Then I started thinking, why not make a smaller one I could travel with (I go to Finland every summer for around 5 weeks)? I've made some sketches and I'm working on a rough 1/8 inch scale drawing. I'll scan it when I'm done. This is what I've planned so far.
    30 inch scale, 18 frets; Maple neck (through body) and fretboard, walnut wings; single blade pickup I'm planning on making, one volume knob; possibly a homemade bridge (string through body)
    I would like this to be a more simple project than the original one I planned (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403180). Maybe if I get it done before July, I'll take it to Finland with me. I also might have the possibility to make at least some parts of this in my construction class.
    So any suggestions or advice?

2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I would not suggest making your own pickup for this project unless you have a winder or something similar already...

3. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I don't have a winder already made, but I can make one form stuff I have at home. This'll be my first build, so I'm still learning. I'd have to learn how to wind pickups eventually, so why not now? Also, it'd be cheaper for me to make my own. I have wood I'm planning on making bobbins from. All I need is the magnet and wire. I finished my scale drawing, I'll scan it in soon.

4. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Here's the link to my current plan: http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=t40bt25td9.jpg
    I put some of the measurements in. That's still just a rough plan, I'll probably have to change parts of it. The pickup placing wasn't measured for that. I just stuck it in the drawing between the bridge and neck.
    Today in construction class, I was looking for oak pieces to make legs for an end table project we have. I found a bunch of pieces with really nice figuring so I was choosing those. Then when I got home I realized I could make a fretboard out of the wood. Some pieces weren't long enough for the project, so I could probably take one home. How's good is oak for a fretboard? I was going to make a plain maple fretboard, but I already found nice pieces of oak, so why not use it?

5. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    well pick-ups are actually really simple..

atfirst I was looking into internet sites and crap trying to figure it all out.

then I just mentioned it to my father who's a red seal electric technican...ya ya should have asked him first.

and he basicly told me, they used to make pickups all the time for other things, the tips he gave me that he said was most important were.

don't go on string winds (like 500 wraps or something) go on the length of your wire, for both pick ups aka 200 feet or something on both instead of 500 wraps each, this'll help you get more consistant resistance, then use your meter to fine tune it to prefection..

another thing he said, -never- solder the wires together if they break it causes a inconsistant resistive value going threw the joint and will screw up the end value slightly.

other then that I can't think of anything off the top of my head

6. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Is there any good way to reconnect them then? I'll probably make the winder from a hand powered drill, so I'll have more control over the winding process. Also, what's the best place to get the 42 gauge wire? I looked at a couple of sites, but they were more expensive than ebay. I thought some store must have it, but I'm not sure where.

7. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Does the headstock look right in my drawing? I'm not sure if the long flat edge of it should be at a different angle, so the middle line is closer to the last tuning peg. Right now it's going between the middle two tuners.

8. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    I brought a piece of wood home today. I put the rough measurements on it and it looks pretty good. Right now it's still an oak slab, but I'm finally making some progress. I'm working on some other project at home, so I should probably finish that first before I do any work on a bass. I'll just collect all the pieces for now.

9. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Today I found another piece of oak that I think I'll use instead. I had a chance to cut it to length at school too.