1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New player changing strings-should I use med, med light or light?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by in the wind, Apr 8, 2009.

1. in the wind

in the wind

Dec 23, 2008
    If it matters it's a Geddy Lee bass. I don't know what brand to use either. I was going to use the strings that it came with from the factory-Fender 7250. Thanks, Michael

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Hi,

I personally would stick with standard gauge unless you are unhappy with them, but its alway worth trying a different make until you have found your fav.

As its a Geddy Lee bass why not try Rotosound steel, it might be a good idea as they are what he uses (unsure of gauge), if you are interested in sounding like him that is.

3. Tehrin Cole

Tehrin Cole

Mar 6, 2009
    Brooklyn,New York
    Endorsing Artist:Kustom Amplifiers
    It's really a matter of personal taste,....It comes down to the type player you are,and the type of music,you play.Standard gauges(.045-.105),are usually just fine.But again,what you play,and HOW you play,may require you to use a higher gauge(maybe,.050-110),or maybe even a lower gauge(maybe,.040-.100).I personally use D'addario ProSteels,standard gauge on my Fender Jazz Basses(that's all a Geddy Lee bass is).Roto-Sounds are a great set,as are DR Hi-Beams,R.Coccos,and GHS"Boomers". My suggestion to you,would be to try several sets,and gauges and find what brings you happiness!As for playing like Geddy,....PLAY ON,PLAYA'!