Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new player / finally got a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skie`, Aug 11, 2003.

1. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    well, i've been visiting tb for a couple of months now, made a couple of discreet posts, and now i finally have a first bass :D
    not a great shot of it, but i couldn't resist posting it...

its an ibanez soundgear sr400, and to my very, very unexperienced ear it sounds pretty good.
    ignore all the clutter in the picture, theres not much free space in my room ;)

.. and the picture didn't attach.
    so heres a link:

[​IMG]

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice first bass.I played it the other day, i liked it slightly less then my fender jazz. I dont know why though. Kinda heavy,m but so is the jazz.

3. Congratulation and welcome to the dark side of the groove :D

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Welcome... now go clean up your room.. ;)

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice! keep low :bassist:

6. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Yeah, especially the used tissues! :eek:

seriously, congrats on your first bass. sure looks alot nicer than my first bass (peavey foundation!).

7. Pffft ! Aquafina. It's all about the Poland Spring :)

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Nice bass, like the natural wood look, those play nice from the ones i tried. Did you break into my house and take a picture of your bass in my room?

9. A 4 stringer??!?! It's only a matter of time before you leave those amatuers behind and join the 5 and 6 string posee! ;)

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Congrats on your new bass. Looks real nice. Only one problem...it's missing a string :D

:bassist:

11. Nice bass!.. I'm still very happy with mine. ;)

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Nice bass. BTW, don't listen to those other guys. 4 strings will more than get the job done. It is not how many strings you have; it is how you use them. ;)

13. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

BLASPHEMY! :bassist:

So I guess Jeff Berlin is an amateur, huh? lol

14. Three points:

#1 Don't believe the 5 string and 6 string hype. Charles Mingus never needed any more than four strings.

#2 That room is absolutely atrocious. My money's on you coming down with West Nile virus or Lyme disease or the bubonic plague before you even learn to play "Wild Thing"! Congratulations!

#3 Yeah, that is a nice lookin' bass. Hopefully the hurricane that hit your room won't return and wedge it into a tree or something...

Peace out!
    The Boognish

15. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Of course you need at least 5 strings. It's not like anyone famous used only 4: like Geddy, Marcus Miller, Flea, Victor...whoops guess that doesn't do much to prove my point :D

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Natural finishes kick ass.

Be very very thankful you didn't get stuck with a gsr!

...and don't listen to any of these ninnies, everyone knows that anything under 9 strings is obsolete.

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Nice! And don't worry about the room. Its fine and a good example of a musical laxitude and some other bbig word that fit the occassion.

18. My friend has the same bass, very very solid.

Pretty good tone too.

19. skie`

skie`

May 4, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    ah, yes, i should get around to cleaning the room eventually...

i've been thinking about my next bass (completely useless since i have just about no money to spend & won't be getting a new one anyway for a long time, but still nice to think :D :p).... 5-string fretless tenor with piezo pickups.

for now, though, this one seems good - theres a lot of fret buzz it seems, but it may be that i haven't adjusted to it or i'm playing too hard.

thanks guys, TB is great :D