New player help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Mar 26, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    I am a very new player. I just got a bass. Where should I start? Should I take lessons? Please send all the help you veterans can.
  2. hello nubassplayer,

welcome to talkbass.

assuming that you don't have any prior musical experience on another instrument, you would probably be better off getting lessons. they might be pretty boring at first, but they will help you to understand how music works. at least take enough lessons to get you going in the right direction, then go from there. you can always ask questions on this forum, and for the most part, you will get a lot of good information from it.

try to be specific when asking questions here, and the answers will be better. please fill out your profile too, it will help people answer your questions also. giving them more of an idea who they're replying to.

good luck!!!!!
  3. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah. I just started too, but I played the violin for like 6 years so I knew a little....
    The best thing to help me learn is reading tabs, and playing stuff already used by a band or whatever. It really comes down to past experience in music.
  4. sint

Dec 24, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I agree with Herm
    When you have no musical experience at all you should definitely take lessons to learn how music works.
    But DO NOT only play the pieces that they will give you.
    The may learn you how to play, but most of them are boring.
    If you don't play what you like, you will lose the fun there is in playing bass.
    Make sure it doesn't turn in to a 'must'.
  5. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    This might be a question of finding the right teacher. My teacher tells me to bring in songs I like and we figure those out. I can choose anything I want, but a couple of times he's suggested that something is too difficult to try at my level. He's right, and usually I try to pick songs that I think I have a chance of working out, but I occasionally bring in something I like that I think is probably beyond my skill at this time.

6. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    The first thing everyone should learn on bass first is to run all major scales and modes backwards in two octaves. ;)

7. I disagree with everybody. I think if your a new bass player your only going to get discouraged by all the theory and how good your teacher is and howlittle you know. I think for anybody to become a good musician they have to love playing, so get some music you love and figure out how to play. Get tabs if you want. Once you really feel like you can play a few things and you really start to like what youre doing learn some theory (but know why your learning theory). then learn to read music and get a teacher. I think you have to be comfortable with playing first and be really willing to develop before you get in over your head. Thats just me though speaking from personal experience (the very little I have).
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    At least get a teacher who sets you up with the technical basics.
    I've gone through hell several times when I had to undo the damage some of my students had done to themselves because they didn't know better.

It's really hard to get rid of bad playing habits, get a good teacher to avoid them.
  9. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I've been playing for about 9 years now.. Self taught. I was away the day we pulled names out of hats for who would play bass in the school band.. I quit band and bought one anyway. Boy do I wish I knew some theory now. I would say take lessons for at least a while so you have a strong foundation for later down the road. :)
  10. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Getting tuition is a good idea for someone with no musical knowledge.
    But, there are many books on the market today which can teach a beginner theory in a day. It would be worth purchasing one of these books because they go through everything step by step.

Also, find any other bass players, preferebly of similar age, in your area who are willing to give you time and advice.
  11. if for anything else you should take lessons to acquire proper technique. you can learn song and theory on your own if you are disciplined enough but proper fretting and plucking should be looked at by someone who knows what they are doing.

all the theory in the world will not help if you are mechanically doing things wrong

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    One thing...practice your timing, it's very important to play with a drummer/metronome/drum machine to develop your sense of groove. When I first started I jus wanted to play fast fills and I never really put effort into making each note sound just so. The sooner you start this the better, don't go down the road I went.
  13. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanx for the advice guys. I got a teacher and had my first lesson today. I am working with a meternome too. Thanx again.