1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new player...ibanez vs fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stephanie Shaw, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Stephanie Shaw

Stephanie Shaw

Dec 3, 2018
    I am a new player, ok, I haven't even had one lesson yet. My kids are playing electric guitar and drums (and my husband accoustic) and their teacher joked that I should have another kid so he can play bass. Then I decided that I should be the one to play bass. I have found 2 basses that I am interested in. One is a Fender P bass (used for $420) the other is an Ibanez SR700 (used $350). I have been doing a lot of research over the last week and I keep ending up on this forum. Everyone here seems kind enough that I feel I can ask opinions and not get beat up.
    So, the brunt of this decision is...my kids are playing genres like Metallica, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, while I would love to play some Jazz. Can you please help me understand how each of these basses would play in that situation? I don't really want to start on an entry level bass if I can find a good one in the neighborhood of $400.

HaphAsSard and ReasonablyHappy like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Despite Fender naming their other big bass the Jazz bass, it can do rock..and the P bass can do jazz.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    MattZilla, RyanOh, GregC and 2 others like this.
  3. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Either one is fine. You just gotta decide if you want active or passive, or modern vs vintage tone.

RyanOh and BazzaBass like this.
  4. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Either will work. Can you try them both? The neck profile is very different, with the Ibanez being much slimmer. Some like that, some don't. As noted above, pickup and electronics are different, but I think the neck profile might be a more important consideration, imho.

5. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    There’s a lot of love here for P basses, so I’m guessing you’ll start hearing from the Fender crowd pretty soon.
    Since the only Ibanez that I own is an amp, I’m voting P. However you're not making a bad decision either way.

Andy Daventry likes this.
  6. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Lots of decent basses in the $400 range and both Fender and Ibanez make good stuff. I'd say the main object is comfort in the beginning. Since it sounds like you are going to take lessons, see if your teacher would be willing to accompany you the guitar store and help pick one out.

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    LoTone and john m like this.
  8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    They're both good basses to start on. Really depends on what you like. I'd take the Fender any day as I've never been comfortable on the slim neck of an Ibanez. Maybe since you want to dabble in Jazz, look for a used Fender Jazz bass?

filmtex likes this.
  9. Sean89sl

Sean89sl

Dec 19, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I'd suggest you try both before you buy. As someone stated above, their neck profile are totally different, try both and see which one is better suit for your hands. But keep in mind that chunky neck isn't exclusively for big hand, I'm asian with 2 3/4 inch index finger and i play chunky neck.

Back to the models you mentioned, SR700 has wide variety of tone and P bass for the P vibe~

10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Yes, the necks are very different. I prefer a Fender Jazz neck to a Precision neck because it is narrower at the nut and I believe (right or wrong) that makes it a little easier to play. Or at least it did in the beginning. Nowadays I will play just about anything but comfort is a big factor when you are just getting started.

Of the two you mentioned, the Ibanez will likely be more comfortable, but if you haven't played a Jazz yet you may want to check that out, as well.

MoeTown1986 and Stephanie Shaw like this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Definitely recommend trying both and seeing which one is comfortable, I've owned both basses and the neck on the Ibanez is Jatoba/Bubinga and is really nice to play on, the P bass neck is a little on the chunky side. The Ibanez is probably a better bass for a beginner imo.

In terms of worth, the used Fender P bass seems a little pricey to me, I usually see them for around $300. The SR700 is actually selling for a good price.

basslifter and Stephanie Shaw like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Metallica --- a bass guitar
    Imagine Dragons and Bastille -- although they have bass players and they play live, I highly doubt they are on many of the recordings lately -- the music is mostly big production producer projects....Most of the time, I cant tell if its bass guitar samples, synth bass samples, or a VSTi of some sort...all have 808 or something similar as sub frequency reinforcement
    Jazz ----- depends on which player and style

My advice is to just get what ya like and is going to inspire you to play...If it was me, Id go with the Ibanez but either it or the P will be just fine

Stephanie Shaw likes this.
  13. The necks will determine the feel. Get your hands on as many as you can. For a beginner, i believe feel comes first.

The active ibanez will sound more modern, the passive P more vintage (but with tweaking, EQ, preamps, both can edge into the other category) sound is personal; get on youtube and listen to demos w good headphones on.

There are other differences of course, but those are the big ones.

Depends on the era. P bass will do a better job of emulating the double bass.

Good luck!

Oatis likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.

OP: i'm going to guess that you'd appreciate the feel of the ibanez. but i'm also in the group who would advise that you play a bunch of instruments before you buy --- just so you can make a reasonable guess as to which one you can live with...at least for a while! jazz can be played on any instrument which feels good enough that you want to play it! good luck! :thumbsup:

edit: clarity

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  15. Either bass would probably get you to where you want to be. Please try both as they do feel differently from each other. Best of luck in your new venture.

16. I started on an ibenez, it was a fantastic first bass. Then a yamaha, very similar. But when i started caring about tone i went passive. Now i play a P bass with a Jazz neck, best of both worlds (for me)

Stephanie Shaw and JRA like this.
  17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    A good recommendation is to try out as many basses as you can. Absolutely nothing wrong with either of your choices - I love both basses for very different reasons. For comfort though, the Ibanez is pretty hard to beat in terms of the light weight, slim neck and body. It's an easier bass to have around your neck when playing with your family and doing that awesome bass solo. :)
    The P bass has that great P bass sound of course that's just so classic. Also the Jazz bass and many other models to consider, each has their good points.
    I would pick one based on comfort, thankfully there are so many good choices available these days.
    Here's the sleek, slim comfortable body of the SR700.
    10003701_10206768318755162_312345796715879386_o.

Leo Thunder, bjelkeman and bdplaid like this.
  18. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Most are very supportive and informative here for sure, welcome to talkbass. As far as comparing the two, I agree with play both before buying if possible. Very different feeling bass. See what feels better to you and go with that.

19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Pick the one you like the look of better and feels better in your hands. Seriously. If you like how it looks and feels you'll be more inspired to put more time and effort into learning how to play the instrument.

Larchi, bjelkeman, gln1955 and 4 others like this.
  20. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    A p bass is a really good cheese pizza. Worry about gourmet pizzas once you know if you like pizza.