1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Player, looking for decent pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Leefmc, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    I'd like to get some ideas on what types of pedal i should look for, or even buy. I am a new Bass player (i don't even own one yet, hoping to buy one within the week), with some experience on guitar.

However, all my guitar experience is Acoustic, and although i've run sound at tiny events a few times before, i know nothing of pedals and player side electrics.. nothing. So i would like to get some suggestions on what i need given my experience, and what want out of it.

I just basically need 1 thing. I want to be able to have a small device which can add slight effects, tune, EQ, compressor, etc, and allow me to directly hear from it. If possible, i would even like to feed audio into it so i can hear something (music to play to, whatever) while i jam with big headphones on. Note that my price range is 50-100$.. which hopefully is enough for a "decent" box.

I've toyed with Acoustic Oriented pedals before, with built in compressors and whatnot (although pretty dinky, rough on the signal, etc.), so i kinda know what i'd like to have.. but at the same time im sure there are some big differences between Acoustic Pedals and Bass ones.

So what do i want? I want it to be small, portable, etc. I do not want to have to carry a big amp with me when all i wear is headphones anyway. Besides, i've got access to amps if i need heh.

All comments/suggestions are MUCH appreciated. I'm quite giddy with excitement, so please forgive any "newb"-ism, or any grand oversights or use of wrong terminology.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Look into some of the small muti-fx processors by Zoom, DigiTech, and Korg - although some of them might be a bit over your budget. The Korg Pandora is a nice little headphone amp/multi-fx package that includes drum loops, a tuner, aux in, etc.

3. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
  4. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    +1 to what EricF said.

5. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    About the korg specifically?

6. i found that the foot-switches got harder and harder to push, especially for tuning. as well, the expression pedal (rocker pedal) tends to come loose often and requires calibration.

7. I used to own the RP80 for guitar and I owned a Zoom 607 with expression pedal for bass. I can't really compare the two soundwise as they are for different instruments, but in general, I think I prefered the zoom layout and functionality over the Digitech. Also, after owning a few other Digitech pedals, im finding I just don't really like the brand much. I find their effects to be VERY digital and quite average sounding. If I was looking for a cheap multi, Id go the Zoom.

Korg IMO is a great brand, but I have no experience with their multi's personally, so I can't really comment on them.

8. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    about the general Zoom, Digitech Etc. etc.

9. I had it for 2 weeks and took it back. Never could really find the settings I liked. The expression pedal can be set to act like a volume pedal but it did not act as a mute and my big old feet would sometimes miss and hit both pedals or change the setting up too many numbers. That pedal made me give up on multis and go with individual pedals.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    If you're expecting greatness in a small, $100 (or even $200), multi-fx package, you will be probably disappointed. If you want something that is a fun and productive practice tool, you have a few options.

For a starting player, I'd HIGHLY recommend not sweating things like the subtleties of effects tones yet. There are more important things to worry about first:
    1. Good playing technique (an effective practice tool can be a BIG help with this - so can a teacher :)). If your playing is lousy, no amount of effects will fix it.
    2. Good sounding equipment (specifically your bass and amp). If your instrument and amp sound like crap, no amount of effects will fix it.
    3. Everything else - including effects.

11. ring mod. every player needs a ring mod

12. If you can up your price to 200 bucks Id go with a used Boss GT6-B. It has basically every kind of effect, sounds decent, is easy to use and modify (so you can experiement with the effects) and has several types of output (a headphone out and an output to an amp).

I'll take anything Boss over anything Digitech. IME.

Except maybe for a whammy, but thats only cuz Boss doesnt make one...

13. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

As for being new but wanting a good pedal, well im just trying to buy something that i won't immediately grow out of. I've toyed with a Bass before, and as i said, have played some guitar, so im not expecting it to be too much trouble in learning... not to sound cocky or anything, i know its tough hehe.

I'm buying a cheapie base to make sure i like the style, and im already expecting to be upgrading my Bass within a year.

I'll checkout the zoom next, had trouble finding them on Musiciansfriend, so i'll look elsewhere. Surprisingly my friend also experienced problems with his Digitech after only a month or so. So i'll be staying away from that. When i find a Zoom, i'll post it to see if anyone has a comment. I'd like to order tonight or tomorrow :)

Thanks again guys! I'm liking this community

14. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
  15. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    well i bought that zoom, so hopefully its good hehe. A friend of mine actually has the same model for his elec, and my dad owns an acoustic version. Both of them like theirs, so im hoping it works out.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Big help :)

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As a former guitar player (for many, MANY years before finally realizing that I belong on bass), I will agree that your learning curve will likely be faster than someone who is starting completely fresh. However, the bass is a very different animal with its own set of challenges and techniques. Always approach it as a unique instrument rather than a long-necked, 4-string guitar - make it GROOVE, man.

I hope the Zoom unit helps make your learning fun. When you're ready to jump into the effects world with both feet, the TB effects forum will be here to guide you.

Enjoy the ride! :)

17. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks again.

Btw im not so much looking for "effects", as a decent compressor, EQ, tuner, etc.

I've never been much of a fan of effects, i usually like a good clean sound. Its why i always preferred acoustic guitars over electric hehe.

Thanks again guys :)

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    "Decent" means different things to different people - and can be highly budget dependant. For me, a "decent" pedal compressor is the Demeter Compulator, which sells for $190. For someone just diving into the deep end of the pool (aka - playing bass), a purchase like that probably isn't justified. As myself and others have recommended on many other occasions in this forum, a budget multi-fx unit like the one you've chosen is a good place to start. Once you have some experience under your belt, your ears will tell you when it's time to start investing in better gear.

Also, there's not reason you NEED to use effects - plenty of good bass players make lots of good music without them. However, effects are just as valid for bass players as they are for any other musician - as long as it serves the music. :)

19. Leefmc

Leefmc

Jun 25, 2007
    oh ofcourse, by "decent" i just ment.. above crap hehe. I just want the best "my" money can buy :)

And ya about the effects, like i said, i honestly don't like them much.. that is to say distortion effects and the like. EQ's, Compressors, etc, i love.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021