1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New player looking for string recommendation for my Thompson Plywood bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Vonnegut, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Jun 10, 2014
    I'll most likely be playing Folk, Country, Indie, and Rockabilly styles, due to what's popular in my city, but I'd still quite like to have a nice jazz and arco sound if possible for my personal projects which are like jazz/classical fusion. The genres in decending order of importance are probably something like Folk > Indie Rock > Country > Rockabilly > Jazz > Classical. I guess I'm looking for something that's versatile.

If could describe the sound I like most, something dark with some growl, but smooth and not too buzzy, with a nice thump yet has an arco sound that isn't harsh, and has some depth.

I'm afraid I don't know too much about tension or guage, and how that factors in.

These are the brands I have to choose from: http://www.stringemporium.com/upright-bass-strings.htm

I'm considering Spirocore Weichs.

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Spiros are your ticket. You might look at innovation strings if you do any slapping but the spiros should do well (at least for a starting string). You might consider the orchestra gauge but they are slightly harder (so i hear. never tried the weich).

3. Spiros (probably the Weich set or the 4/4 Mittel set) or Innovation Honeys (for that punch).
    Spiros need to be played with the bow a lot until they sound good with the bow. Maybe a year if you don't bow so much, but then they last for a decade. The Honeys are a bit easier to bow and have a rather dark sound and maybe not as much growl as the Spiros. Spiros better for Rock, Honeys better for arco and Folk/Country. For Rockabilly you need to try if it works with rather high tension strings.

4. Vonnegut:

Spiro Weichs are good starter strings. In my experience they sound pretty good on most plywood basses and darned good on some. Nice easy tension to help break in your hands. If the G is too thin-sounding, replace it with something else. Many different string brands (and gut) will work well with Spiro Weichs. Give yourself some time with the Weichs though...up to a year. They will develop a solid sound as your playing gets stronger. Your ear will also develop and will help you decide if the broken-in Weich sound is for you.

5. Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Jun 10, 2014
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I am going to either get the weichs or mittels. How do you think the medium gauge strings would work for me?

6. Be warned, the 3/4 and 4/4 Spiros (of the same tension class) have different tension on the same scale (the 3/4 is higher tension than the 4/4). This is because they are made so that they have the same tension for 3/4 strings on a 105cm scale bass and for 4/4 strings on a 110cm scale bass. They (and probably the Thomastik Superflexible) are the only DB strings that are made that way. Any other string I know is only different in length, but have no difference in the mass per unit length (which the Spiro 3/4 and 4/4 strings have).
    So the 4/4 Spiro Mittel is similar in tension to the 3/4 Spiro Weich on the same scale. a 3/4 Spiro Mittel has approx. 8-10% more tension than the former two.
    I would start with the 3/4 Weich or 4/4 Mittel for a 3/4 scale instrument (around or less than 105cm scale) and with Spiro Weich 4/4 on a 108cm or longer scale (even if the E sounds/plays a little bit weak in this set).
    So if you want to try the Mittel, get the 4/4 S42-set. Also some basses don't like the higher tension of Spiro Mittel, so the 3/4 Weich or 4/4 Mittel would be a safer start than the 3/4 Mittel set.

7. Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Jun 10, 2014
    DoubleMIDI, thanks you for your detailed reponse. I'm going to try out the Mittel 4/4 S42-set.

8. 1dreday

1dreday

Nov 22, 2009
    Bump for good post