new player need advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bill sharts, Jun 12, 2021.

1. bill sharts

bill sharts

Jun 12, 2021
    hi bill sharts here,
    i have recently just bought my first bass guitar (ibanez gr200 dont ridicule me because i might cry) and i need amp suggestions. or really any tips you have for beginners. pls and thank u!!!
    (also other bass guitar reccs. are welcome as well)

-bill sharts <3

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    zie, DTRN, 12BitSlab and 3 others like this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Welcome! I started on a cheap Ibanez, nothing to sneeze at.

some more info will help us help you. musical goals? Influences? Budget? Want Headphones and/or speaker? Using computer, phone or other playalong materials?

3. Yes, those are good questions.

Bill, welcome to the low end!

Rich67 and CallMeAl like this.
  4. What's your budget Bill?

My suggestion would be to get yourself a good 1x12 combo, perhaps with a headphone jack so you can indulge in silent practise if you need to. A 1x12 combo will give you something that is portable enough to carry around to jam sessions/rehearsals, and a good quality one will give you superior sound capability right off the bat. If you don't need headphones, my immediate recommendation would be a Markbass 121p {though there are plenty of other offerings in today's market}. I have its bigger brother, the 121H combo and it's is a great little amp that's served me faithfully and reliably for 12 years and hundreds of semi pro gigs. If you need headphones, then one of the Fender Rumble combos might be the ticket.

A piece of unsolicited advice: if you're serious about bass playing, get the best amp you can afford, as having a good sound will inspire you to keep playing. If you do get a 1x12, get one with an 8 ohm speaker that's rated at a few hundred watts so you can couple it to a 1x12 extension cab if you need a bit more volume/low end down the track.

Bruno1950, TrustRod and Bleecker like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Never apologize for your instrument. A couple of thoughts:

- as town amp, you can spend less than a hundred or thousands. Certainly Fender Rumbles are good value amps. You will find a good number of people here gigging them regularly.

- what are your goals- playing alone in your room, or bars with a full band, or what?

6. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    I found the Ampeg BA-108v2 was a great first amp and I still use it when I need something small. I think they just replaced it so you might be able to get a good deal on one and they are affordable to begin with. Some features that I found handy were a -8db pad (reduces the signal from the guitar allowing for less volume), a headphone jack for silent practice, and an auxiliary input so you can play backing tracks from your phone and into your headphones.

BassNugget, tyohars and CallMeAl like this.
  7. Hello, Bill, and welcome to Talkbass.

Advice?

Practice as often as you can playing songs you like and feel comfortable playing.

And most importantly, NEVER GIVE UP!

If you feel yourself getting frustrated, because you don't feel your playing is improving as quickly as you'd like, put the bass down for a few days.

But always pick it up again.

You will succeed. ;)

Mike

Bruno1950, smarthound, Kitkit and 3 others like this.
  8. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    Get whatever you can afford, don’t spend a lot, use the suggestions here as a list of options (any one of which will do). I’d recommend something simple with a headphone jack, but that is just a stock answer without knowing your needs.

Just don’t spend a lot of cash until you know it’s something you really like and will continue to do. Nice choice for a bass, too!

juggahnaught likes this.
  9. Bassclef46

Bassclef46 Inactive

Feb 1, 2021
    Rumble amps come in various prices. The 15, 25 and 40 are budget models. I have the 40. It’s perfect for home use

Bruno1950 and BassNugget like this.
  10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if you can find a Fender B-DEC 30 for $200ish you'll be pleasently surprised at what a great learning / accompaniment tool it is for a smaller but very smart and nice sounding modeling amp. not much info about them to be found, they faded fast but they're sturdy, well designed, and sweet for guitar too, it will give you years of service beyond expectations. you can conveniently adjust the vol. internally to keep the sub lows from pentrating walls but maintain beefy tone, if that matters for you.
    put a thumbpick to good rockin' use. listen to '70s Humble Pie, UFO, and Budgie. learn to groove.
    DON'T FORGET TO BOOGIE!
    consider upgrading to a Epiphone Thunderbird IV, the cheaper bolt-on, and/or a Ibanex TR Bass from 2000s if you want a killer P bass for cheap. if you don't love superb TONE first and foremost, do so, for me it made all the difference in making the most mundane basic fundimentals desireable.

11. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Rumble 40 is great for home practice. Go Rumble 100 if you have Medium-term goal of jamming with the drummer next door.

I got the Studio 40, which is the fancy digital version. You don't need all that nonsense to distract you starting out, but it's a blast for home practice.

Bruno1950, Raoul_Duke and CallMeAl like this.
  12. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    You NEED a rig like this:
    best bass rig.jpg

Find a bass like this:

knobs 01.jpg

Observe these truths:

10 bass commandments - Copy.jpg
    DSCN4229.JPG

JW stupid.jpg

albert prove.jpeg

Have fun, don't lose your sense of humor and don't ever quit.

carmen.jpg

13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Never ever hide gear from your significant other... they deserve respect, and must always be treated like the fantastic people that they are.....

Ok she left the room ... now.... never hide bass guitars under the bed, and if you do... make sure you wipe up the dust if you retrieve one and leave dust trails.

14. pickaxe

pickaxe

May 20, 2015
    Hi Bill
    Get lessons from a teacher not the internet, good action/posture will last a life time.
    Dave

Artman and Medbo_BassBoy like this.
  15. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hi Bill and welcome. I own a Ric and a couple of Fender PJ's. However, my GR200 has the most play time as it's my practice/learning new songs bass. When I tell my band mates I paid $139 (several years ago) for it they are shocked it plays and sounds as good as it does. So...do not be ashamed. Oh, by the way, it is a very light bass as well, at least mine is.

Raoul_Duke and Artman like this.
  16. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    +100 for Ampeg BA108 v2. I'm still use it. Imho, it get everything you need on ypur first amps.

BassNugget likes this.
  17. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    I am an old guy and I bought my first cheap bass a year ago. I love the thing; it's got "good bones".
    Only two pieces of advice:
    1. Know your weapon. You must know how to set up your bass. A lot of great info on this out there in easy reach.
    2. Dedicate the time it takes to train your body to do unnatural things (mostly the hands, at first). "Musicians get all the chicks" - Eddie Murphy

18. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Practice, practice, practice, learn music theory, at least the basics, practice, practice, practice, learn, study, study, research, research, research, practice...

ProbablyTooLoud likes this.
  19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've been playing for over 30 years, I have three main basses and also have my Ibanez GSR 190. It's a comfortable bass to play, light and is more than sufficient for someone to learn on. Nothing at all wrong with it. In terms of an amp, I would say a 50w or above should do it. Check out the used market and save some money.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  20. I am a newbie myself and I would recommend an amp with a headphone and aux input jack. The aux input allows you to plug in your device and play along with the tune. Learning to play by tabs is a great way to start learning quickly. I would also recommend watching tutorials while playing along with tabs because tabs alone won't give you the proper technique. FYI you can also slow down the playback speed on the videos. Good luck!

Raoul_Duke likes this.