Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New player needs affirmation:)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Droog, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So I have been playing with a pick for while and have been trying to switch most of the songs I play over to fingers. Somw have to stay pick, but I like fingers so much better. Anyway my playing hand gets so damned fatigued. Feels like arthritis or something sometimes. This is just cuz I suck right? Need practice to build up strength and what not. I'm just paranoid that my fingers will alway hurt and fail at the end of busy songs. It'll get better right?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup, stretch and keep playing. Don't play very hard, play with a soft touch and let your amp do the work. trust me it's hard not digging in.

3. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I had the same problem a year and a half ago when I started using my fingers... I had a heavy touch on the strings and that tired my hand... then I discovered I had to play very softly and I also changed a bit my plucking style...I think you know that you mustn't strike the strings but slightly pull them with your plucking fingers... that was the mistake I made and it also caused a lot of fretbuzzing... after a year and a half I don't use a pick anymore

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    You guys are completely right. Its hard not to dig in when its time to through down, but I have been making the effort to just chill out a bit and play a little bit softer and it does make a world of difference. I make sure my hands are warm and try not to play so damn hard and its helping quite abit.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My first full gig I played so agressively my right hand to elbow completely locked up from fatigue. I had to thump strum the rest of the song. Now with a lighter touch, it's more of a light medium touch I can go all night with no fatigue.