Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New player with pinky and thumb pain!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by goodguy782, Aug 31, 2004.

1. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    I have been playing for about 6 months but just recently really got into it. I can play the beginner songs no problem without pain, but I got a book recommend on these forums called Bass Fitness, and when I try the excercises in there my fingering hand starts burning really bad on the side of my hand below my pinky and in the ball of my hand right below my thumb. I tried playing as soft as I can but it still burns. Is this something that just happens with new players and is the muscle burning from being used in a whole new way or am I setting my self up for some serious hand injury down the road? I really want to start practicing a couple hours a day but right now just getting through 30 min is a test of pain tolerance. Any help is MUCH appreciated! I also just want to shout out how happy I am to learn the bass instead of going the all too common route or learning gutiar.

2. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    Someone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong! :crying:

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah me too, really on the base of my palm closer to my thumb. Stretch before you play, and your squezing too much with your thumb. I read on here that you should press with your fingers not squeeze with your thumb or pinch your finger and thumb together when you play.

4. That's right, most of the time your thumb doesn't even need to touch the neck. It's okay if it does, of course, but don't be exerting pressure when it's not absolutely necessary.

5. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    Thanks for the advice guys, last night I did exactly as suggested and concentrated on playing very relaxed and pushing with my fingers and not my thumb, it felt a LOT better, still had a little pain but Im sure it'll take a while for my hadn to strengthen. Thanks again!

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The pain you are feeling is actually your muscles ripping (it's not a bad thing to an extent). When you use your muscles to their limit they have microtears and when those tears heal they increase your muscle size and mass.
    If you use that muscle too much (in a short amount of time) it can actually hurt it.

7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    you should use your thumb to hold the neck but not squeezing so hard that you feel that much pain.

1. Play more and more and more

2. get a rackett ball and when away from the bass squeeze it. This will help you develop the muscles away from the bass.

3. take it slow...doon't hurt yourself.

8. goodguy782

goodguy782

Jul 20, 2004
    california
    Thanks for the great advice, I have started playing until it hurts then taking a break and playing again till it hurts on and on until i have about 2 hours of total playing time a day. This seems to be helping me get as much preactice in as I want without the pain. I think I can already feel my hand getting stronger but still have a long way to go before i can play through an entire 2 hour practice. Thanks again for all the advice, I appreaciate it a lot, and if anyone else has any secret ways they increased their hand strength please let me know.

...and masterbating isnt a good way, I have been doing that for many years before playing the bass and it has in no way helped me... (just wanted to beat someone to the punch)

9. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    goodguy,

If your bass is set up properly, playing it should require relatively little strength.

Being able to comfortably play for long periods of time requires good technique, relaxation and a high level of fretting-hand coordination.

You're probably more than strong enough to play the bass continually for hours, but might not have met one or more of the three requirements listed above.

Good luck to you.