Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New player with questions about basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lozenger, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    well, i dont yet have a bass but i am planning on getting one, i`m desperate 2 get 1!! how much roughly wud u hav 2 pay 4 a decent 1 (in pounds, i cant do euros etc.) and wot r the advantages and disadvantages of playing bass.??? :bassist:

cheers

Lozzy xxx :D

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi! Welcome to TalkBass!

I've taken the liberty of changing the title of your thread to something more descriptive.

Have you looked around our archives? You'll find many threads about good basses for beginners - in fact, I'm willing to bet you'll find answers to all your questions if you search a bit.

I'll defer to one of our UK members as to pricing in your part of the world.

Have fun!

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Welcome to TalkBass!!

Now, first thing is to begin using complete words and phrases.. A post like the one above is like playing with a loaded gun..

Second... become familiar with the search feature on this site.. If it has to do with bass it's probably already been discussed here numerous times in the past. You can get most of your answers faster that way...

Third: Be sure to check out the FAQ sections and the thread marked NEWBIE LINKS...

FAQ: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq

Newbie Links: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=69903

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Welcome to TalkBass!!

The best way to get some help and opinions on this would be to first go to a music store and play a few basses. Make note of the ones you've played (brand, model, price) and think about what you liked or didn't like.

Then come back to TB and post something like...

"I went to Mike's Music and played a Deeptone XJ35. What do you guys think of those? I also played a Growlin' Dog 5 string. How do those compare?"

You'll get lots of help then.

Peace,

James

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Personally, I've never played a Growlin dog 5 that i didn't think would make an excellent boat anchor. Their 4 strings are the best though.

Mark

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Dude,

Put down the pipe. Their 4 strings are made in Korea.:spit: How can they be any good at all? ;)

Peace,

James

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Welcome to TB. I hope you like us better than TC!

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thats usually good advice, but a complete newbie with no experience at all might not know where to start (he doesn't own a bass yet and he's asking about pros/cons of taking up the bass as an instrument) When I first started I had no clue...I'd walk into a music store and I'd like the one that was my favorite color - I loved those SR200 because I'd see 'em in that pretty blue finish. If I was to play a bass I couldn't make a judgement on it's sound because I couldn't get a good sound out of any bass. I would find that the bass that was set up closest to my bass (what felt 'normal' to me) would seem the most playable to me.

Lozenger -

Welcome to TB.
    I would recomend visiting a music store (maybe several) in your area and see if you can find one that rents instruments (it's pretty comon where I live) I wouldn't rent forever, maybe just a month or two. It would give you a chance to try out playing bass and see what you think. Also, when you decide your going to stick with it and buy your own bass, you'll have a better idea of what you want in an instrument.
    I'd also suggest, when your visiting these music stores, also ask if the have an instructor who teaches lessons - make sure that he teaches the techniques you want to learn (you want to play finger style, not with a pick) and that he teaches the kind of music you enjoy listening to. A good teacher will really help you get a running start and he could really help with your decision as to what bass to buy as he'll know your personality, abilities, preferences and so forth.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    But they are made in the same factory as the Korean Ultrarock PhatTones, certainly that counts for something.

10. I would second all of this advice except the fingerstyle suggestion. I play fingerstyle 100 percent of the time and hate using a pick, but i think that you should try both to see what you like. You can use both if you want to.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Seapickle, you're right. I was kind of forcing my own opinion on the kid, sorry 'bout that. I was mostly thinking of a specific situation I know of. There is person who teaches in a small town - he's the only guy teaching bass lessons and he's really a guitar player - he has students come to him who are playing finger style and he'll insist they stop with the fingers and play with a pick - a guy like that is to be avoided IMO.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why is he still teaching, and why haven't you and your fellow bassists strung him up yet?

13. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    thanks all you guys for the advice:p