1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Player

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by animeman223, Aug 29, 2008.

1. animeman223

animeman223

Aug 29, 2008
    I've begin playing about 3 weeks ago, and when I don't have too much work, I try to get in an hour of practice. I've been playing acoustic, are there any good techniques to start with? By the way, I pluck the strings with my right thumb (hereditary), is this okay?

2. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    First off, welcome to Talkbass. I get the feeling you're going to like it here. :)

If you can get it to work efficiently and the same level as someone that uses their fingers, go for it. As for advice, try reading through the sticky topics. They have a ton of great advice to follow.

3. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    hello I see you like Anime so do I.:)

4. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    try to spend 10 minutes every day doing short excercises to build up your finger strength on your left hand and your mechanics.try to practice having one finger to one fret spacing. playing up and down the board chromatically is a good way to practice that.

5. animeman223

animeman223

Aug 29, 2008
    Well, I'm getting transferred out of this school to an easier one and hopefully I can get a bass for at home. And yes, I love anime.

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Like said before, one finger per fret, and alternate fingering using index and middle finger are usually the "standard". One finger per fret isn't necessary, there's nothing wrong with using DB technique which is using index, middle, pinky for a 3 fret span. I learned one finger per fret and I enjoy the extra note choice without position shifting. It's hard and annoying to get when you first start so keep working on it.

The way I look at bass while learning is, "Don't cut corners, you'll just have to take those turns in the end anyway". Basically, no matter what, try proper technique and don't give up. It will eventually become natural.

7. animeman223

animeman223

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm working on what to do with the first...... 6 frets. Besides that, I'm screwing around (practicing technique and speed) on the lower frets (12-end) because I have nothing to keep beat to. I guess that comes from my fondness of high pitches.

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    A metronome is the bassist's friend. All the advice given on technique so far is well worth mastering. Also, get to know where all the notes are on the fretboard. Maybe you know this already coming from guitar. Anyway you can see it here :

http://www.visionmusic.com/lessons/bassneck.html

9. animeman223

animeman223

Aug 29, 2008

I've never played guitar. I'm just very fond of the sound. The only other instrument i have played is (ironically) Trombone.

10. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Ok. I read your post wrongly.:) With regards to learning the FB, start with the E string and work your way chromatically up the board, calling out or singing the notes as you go. Repeat on other strings. I know you were inquiring about "technique", but learning the FB at the start is a big plus IMO.

11. animeman223

animeman223

Aug 29, 2008
    The funny thing is that I can call out the notes as I go, but I cannot (haven't) memorized them, so I can't read sheet music, only Tabs.

By the way, I want to get an electric bass. What is a good, cheap one to start off with?

12. http://www.rondomusic.com/ The SX bass line is well regarded, and it's what my first (and to date, only) one is. I'm happy with it, but don't take my recommendation only.

There'a a *LOT* of threads here about this subject, so do a lot of reading.