Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Policy in Gear Wanted Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by MJ5150, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Is there any way the restriction on posting can be removed from posts/threads by supporting members?

-Mike

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What restriction? - I thought it was non-supporters who were restricted? :confused:

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

This one.............Gear Wanted Policy

-Mike

4. Bruce Lindfield

Well - when you say "restriction on posting" - that's not really a restriction, as such - it doesn't stop people posting at all - it's just a delay...:meh:

The main restriction, is on non-supporters!

I think you need to be clearer, in what you are objecting to!! ;)

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well....it is A restriction. Perhaps I look at the word restriction differently than you do. The definition I am working with is as follows......"to confine within bounds", or "a limitation on the use or enjoyment of property or a facility".

I am interested to see a reply from someone with the authority to answer me properly.

-Mike

6. Bruce Lindfield

It can't hurt to ask the right question though!! ;)

You still haven't said what your problem is with, exactly....

Why does it matter to you?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if I wanted to post a wanted ad, it looks like I will have to wait up to 24 hours to have it posted. This is the reason I wondered out loud if the posting delay can removed from posts/threads by supporting members.

-Mike

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think a better answer would just be to say that all of the Classifieds were restricted to supporting members only!

I thought this was what had happened and was what was discussed before - I think fiddling about with "Wanted" just makes things more complicated to administer.

Make it all "supporters-only" - much simpler!! :)

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The "Wanted" policy only applies to non-supporters. Post by non-supporters in the 'wanted' forums are sent to a moderation queue. At least that's how I thought I set it up... :)

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Paul, *all* threads and posts are running through the mod queue as of now. I assumed it was intentional on your part.

If you could remove the restriction for SMs, that'd be great. Except for that MJ5150 character - he's trouble.

;)

11. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Well shoot. I guess it's going to have to be all or none... I thought the forum software would behave as told but there's an issue with primary/secondary usergroups and such... Sorry. :(

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem Paul. I understand why it had to be done.

-Mike

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I *think* it's working now - I've noticed new posts by SMs before I've hit the queue. I'll watch closer and advise.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, I was right.

Assuming no one else is accessing the queue, SM posts and threads appear immediately. Non-SM posts and threads queue up.

It seems to be working as intended, Paul.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not for me. I posted a wanted ad, and got the screen telling me I had to wait until my post was reviewed by a moderator. I also replied to a wanted ad, and again got the screen telling me I had to wait.

-Mike

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're right - that's odd. I *know* SMs were able to post without the queue before...

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I was but that was about a month ago... :eyebrow:

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright....I just tried to bump my own "wanted" ad, and again I got the screen telling me I have to wait. This is kind of frustrating.

-Mike

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm with Mike on this one... it's kind of annoying, in that you can't tell if the person is even looking, cos hey, there might be up to 24 hour delay there. And most certainly don't listen to Bruce Lindfield about restricting it all to supporters only - that'd just be beyond stupid, IMO. (respectfully disagreeing).

Ray

20. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I noticed the same problem Mike is having. Part of the reason I upgraded to SM was to avoid the annoying 24hr wait (plus, I now feel like I owed TB something for being so... cool). I guess I just assumed upgrading to SM would take care of the wait. I eventually just posted my bass for sale, eliminating the 24 hr wait in the Wanted section.