New Poll. Roscoe or Marchlewski?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Roscoe 6

2. Marchlewski 6

1. New poll. Do I get the Roscoe from my friend [for the most part, a new guitar, and right here in my city], or a "base model" Marchlewski?

2. That's quite the tough choice... have you played the Marchlewski? I voted for it, although on second thought I may have wanted to pick the Roscoe. Either way you won't go wrong.
  3. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    Here's my reasoning. Jake will let you pick everything, and tailor the bass to YOU. Unless you find a particular brand (in this case Roscoe), has everything you want (f/b radius, electronics, body shape, neck profile, etc.), then that's great. The true joy of getting a custom instrument is that you can specify all the things that make YOU happy, just the way you like them, with no "I wish it had..." in the future. But that's taking into account you know EXACTLY what you want in the 1st place :p

I chose Jake precisely based on that premise. I took everything I loved about all the different basses I've played, and put it in one package. And I couldn't be happier.
  4. Well I suppose I shouldn't even vote since I've never played a Marchlwslkdlki (sp) before, but I love my Roscoe. Even though I bought it used, I felt pretty comfy given all the good reports I heard here. But if you can, playing both of them, and others, will give you more of an idea of your "sound" and your "feel". Then buy the one you like. Also, the Roscoe could be in your hands right away, I imagine the Jake M. bass would take some time to complete.

BTW, I think Keith is open to a lot of custom options too.

(p.s. - Jake, sorry about the spelling, bad humor has taken over)

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've heard nothing but good about the Marchlewski basses. I haven't had a chance to play a Marchlewski but I have owned 5 Roscoes. Great basses! I know Basso Gruvitas is currently having one of each made (fretless Marchlewski; fretted Roscoe). He should be able to provide a qualified opinion soon! All that having been said, I'd go for the Roscoe. A used Roscoe is not only one of the best deals out there, it also holds it's resale value very well. A Roscoe with the Bart p/u's and Bart 3-band can be EQ'd for just about any sound you can imagine! They also have a great feeling neck. I'm sure the Marchlewski basss is everything some of the TB'ers are saying it is but the name is still relatively obscure. The Roscoe is a tried and proven bass. You won't be taking a chance with it! ;)
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I've heard so many good things about roscoe's I couldn't help but vote. I would love to play one.
  7. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    This is sort of an unballanced question... Roscoe has been around a very long time... Marchlewski is very new. Your results will reflect that. It just depends on what you want. :)
  8. I would be happy with the Roscoe [and the fact that I could have it "same day"]. I just love spalted maple and natural wood finishes. The Roscoe has the transparent purple over whatever the wood is, so that's one criteria I'm not getting with the Roscoe. It DOES have the gorgeous splated purple heart finger board though. A plus! As well as the Bartolini pickups and preamp. Another plus. It is a very tough decision to make. I wonder if I could send the body back to the Roscoe shop to sand that paint off and refinish it or something. That's the only thing that keeps me from that bass at the moment.

Edited to add the rest of my line of thought:

But then, some of Jacob's designs are DO neat looking it makes me want one! What to do?. . . . What . . . to :rollno:
  9. THAT IS a tough choice. I guess it depends on what you consider to be the strengths of each instrument.

For me, *PURPLE* kills the deal!.... :spit: :spit: :rollno:
  10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd take either one in a giveaway. Having had 2 Roscoe's I can vouch for the tone but voted for the Marchlewski because I fell in love with Wolfehollow's 6 that Jake built. I'm guessing Jake's basses can hold their own as far as tone goes and you can order the bass to your exact specs. Man you can't go wrong with either one!
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Are you saying that Keith tinted a spalted maple top "purple" or are you saying the body (probably Spanish Cedar) is tinted purple? I'd be shocked if Keith tinted any burled or spalted tops. You might describe a spanish cedar body as purple (he's finishes them kind of a red-ish purple). At any rate, if it is a purple tinted spalted maple top, I'd look for another Roscoe or have the Marchlewski built. You'd be looking at $350-500 to have Keith refinish it. Also, most tinting is absorbed in the wood. You may not be able to remove it by sanding.

12. +1

Dave, Do you have a pic of the Roscoe in question?
  13. Unfortunately no. I don't have any pictures. I can get some if you'd like.

No, it's not spalted maple under then purple. I was saying that I'd LOVE to have a natural wood finish in spalted maple. It's some sort of figured maple though.

Also, I talked to Keith and he said it would be about $400 ball park to re-finish the body.

Food for thought. And to drive me more crazy.
  14. So really the money you would save on the purchase of a used instrument, you're blowing on the refinish.

So score +1 for Marchlewski.

Another thing: are you happy with the electronics package on the Roscoe? Let's say you like Jazz style pickups or want a PJ configuration. You could only get that through Marchlewski.

Just some more things to torture you!! :eyebrow:
  15. No, I prefer the soap bar pickups. Active Electronics, 3 band EQ, . . .

Another plus for the Marchlewski, since it will have to be built, I can specify what type of fret size I would want. You know, something like banjo size frets.

Plus, I've been pondering today about how much I like the sound of my fretless over my fretted. No fret buzz, but [of course] 'harder' to play, or I should say, requiring a higher level of precission on my part. Hmmmm. . . What to do?
  16. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I think Malthumb had mandolin frets???
  17. Oh, . . . . maybe it IS mandolin frets I was thinking of. :meh:
  18. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    My Marchlewski has mandolin frets, for what it's worth.
  19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    It can definitely be a plus to use a good relatively unknown luthier. They are much more willing to give you exactly what you want. On the other side though, a very experienced and seasoned luthier might be able to protect you from yourself. Not saying that you don't know exactly what you want but sometimes we think we know what we want and an experienced luthier might have prior experience pertaining to that feature that would save us some disappointment in the end. Nothing worse than spending all of that money (and time waiting) only to get the exact instrument you spec'd out only to find out it doesn't sound and play quite like you invisioned! :eek:

20. You mean, . . . . . kinda like wanting to use mandolin frets? :oops: