1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pop music with cool bass lines and actual instruments...wait it's true

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jrussblues, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Long story short 12 year old was shuffling apple pop current hits this morning and I heard instruments, like real instruments...cautiously optimistic for now
    Even heard some bassists doing work on these tracks
    Charlie Puth - Attention
    Paramore- Hard Times
    DNCE - kissing strangers

2. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Just did a search for Charlie Puth in TB to see if anyone else digs it, and I came across this post. I kinda hate the fact that I love the bass line for "Attention". It is so good. Some of my other favorites that I'm not too proud of are "24k Magic" by Bruno Mars and "Can't Stop the Feeling" by Justin Timberlake.

Jrussblues likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It actually appears to me that there's a trend towards the return of actual bands playing actual instruments. I'm sure there's still lots of protools magic in the recordings, but I'm seeing more vibrating strings these days.

4. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There's plenty of it out there. I feel like a lot of TB members bash pop music, and have basically never heard it.

This is my first time hearing Attention. I don't know how anyone could feel bad for liking that bass line. Is it brand new? Getting a lot of play?

5. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I was (mostly) kidding. Part of me feels like it's a pride issue when it comes to liking more obscure music vs. pop music. I just want to be one of the cool kids :)

That song is so new that my wife who listens to pop radio stations hasn't heard it yet.

6. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I will keep my eye (ear?) on it as a possible song for the band to do.

I never really understood the snobbishness about pop music, I mean yeah, it can be a little light sometimes, but its specifically designed to sound freaking great to as many people as possible, there's bound to be something in it to enjoy.

P-oddz likes this.
  7. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Sometimes you're more in the mood for something that makes you think, and sometimes you don't want to think about the ins and outs of what's going on. I usually lean towards the former, but that has been changing more and more the older I get. Also, I can appreciate music that is more guitar and bass vs. keyboards, synth, and post-production magic.

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    That song is fantastic from top to bottom actually, and the bassline is superb. I've liked every song I've heard off of his album - proof that if we can shed our preconceptions...

EDIT: Well, crap. It's a sample, played on a keyboard.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Bourbongangster likes this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL

I listened to 2 of the tunes in the OP and thought OK... then listened again and thought, yeah - OK bass lines but sound really heartless. I'm really trying to open my mind up here cuz my band plays a lot of stuff like this, but I can't help but miss the music I grew up on. I'm ready to accept the change. Doesn't mean I have to love it or like it more than the heartfelt music of days gone by. I don't.

That being said, my band threw this one at me last week:

Too bad the guy suggesting it BSed saying it was a HUGE hit. I don't think anyone outside of my band and some kid that listened to it 100,000x ever heard it. I learned it. The other guys didn't. And that caused my first sort of falling out with my band. I was pissed. We learn songs at home and sweat em out at the gigs. I didn't learn this one in 10 minutes. And I only had 2 days to nail it.

Anyhow - subscribed for new material to suggest to my band. I kinda like the Nicky Minaj tune. I'm sure I'll like the Paramour one (haven't listened yet).

What else yas got?

10. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Fun fact: 7 months later and I'm still obsessed with this bass part.

Fun fact #2: Since I posted this, I got a Boss OC-2 pretty much just to cop this bass part.

One more: I came across the same video a few months ago and my favorite thing about this is the guitar part sounds awesome, and one of the first things he says is, "I can't play guitar". Gotta respect that he finds a way to work out his vision.

I was surprised to find out it was a synth as well. Doesn't change the fact that it's still one of my all-time favorite bass tones that I'd love to emulate, even if it's not an actual bass guitar playing it.

11. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I picked it out a minute ago. There is one construct of the part that gives it away as a keyboard, IMO.

In the second measure, he plays the low Db followed by the B natural as consecutive 16th notes, setting up a movement to the Db one octave above, followed by the chromatic descent to Bb. That B is on the same fret as the low Db and two strings above it - it's unlikely that a bass player would write a part that has that particular movement, as it's a little awkward.

Also, it obviously should be played on a 5-string and kids that age refuse to play those. Ironic.

Really cool bassine, still.

12. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    As a pop amateur musician, I'm listening to a lot of pop songs.
    About Charlie Puth's Attention.
    1. I don't like that falcettish (currently overwhelmingly-everywhere prevalent voice - where is Barry White, Joe Cocker, etc...)
    2. As a song - it's perfectly mediocre - the melody is perfectly mediocre, the harmony/chord progression perfectly mediocre - It's so mediocrely-repetative.

3. About the bass-line.
    It's a good bass-line for Pop music!
    It CAN be played live.
    CP.PNG

Check this live version.

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I didn't say it couldn't. I can play it. My point was that the structure of the part, especially in one area, makes it unlikely that it was written on a bass and likely that it was written on a keyboard.

That video is helpful though - the player is using his thumb and index finger rather than two fingers, which makes sense to help him hit that quick minor 7th. Too bad they didn't let him do a little more with his tone.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  14. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I can easily play it with my thumb and middle fingers, but I also have no issues playing it with my Index and Middle fingers.

Bourbongangster likes this.
  15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

While we're here, I'm going to throw these guys out there again(posted about them here months ago but nobody wanted to know; to me they check all the boxes)...

A fresh take on channeling Rundgren, Badfinger, Sparks, Queen, The Who, Big Star, Macca, Nilsson, and so on. Saw them live a couple of months ago, just amazing.