1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New pop music with cool bass lines and actual instruments...wait it's true

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jrussblues, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Jrussblues

Jrussblues Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Long story short 12 year old was shuffling apple pop current hits this morning and I heard instruments, like real instruments...cautiously optimistic for now
    Even heard some bassists doing work on these tracks
    Charlie Puth - Attention
    Paramore- Hard Times
    DNCE - kissing strangers

2. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Just did a search for Charlie Puth in TB to see if anyone else digs it, and I came across this post. I kinda hate the fact that I love the bass line for "Attention". It is so good. Some of my other favorites that I'm not too proud of are "24k Magic" by Bruno Mars and "Can't Stop the Feeling" by Justin Timberlake.

Jrussblues likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It actually appears to me that there's a trend towards the return of actual bands playing actual instruments. I'm sure there's still lots of protools magic in the recordings, but I'm seeing more vibrating strings these days.

4. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There's plenty of it out there. I feel like a lot of TB members bash pop music, and have basically never heard it.

This is my first time hearing Attention. I don't know how anyone could feel bad for liking that bass line. Is it brand new? Getting a lot of play?

5. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I was (mostly) kidding. Part of me feels like it's a pride issue when it comes to liking more obscure music vs. pop music. I just want to be one of the cool kids :)

That song is so new that my wife who listens to pop radio stations hasn't heard it yet.

6. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I will keep my eye (ear?) on it as a possible song for the band to do.

I never really understood the snobbishness about pop music, I mean yeah, it can be a little light sometimes, but its specifically designed to sound freaking great to as many people as possible, there's bound to be something in it to enjoy.

P-oddz likes this.
  7. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Sometimes you're more in the mood for something that makes you think, and sometimes you don't want to think about the ins and outs of what's going on. I usually lean towards the former, but that has been changing more and more the older I get. Also, I can appreciate music that is more guitar and bass vs. keyboards, synth, and post-production magic.