1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Portaflex 115he or Used Aguilar DB 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkateer86, Jan 25, 2013.

1. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    So GC is running a promo that takes an additional 15% off a single item if you bring a trade in. It only applies to new items so herein lies my problem. Do I get a new Portaflex 115he for the lower price (after the discount) or a used DB 115 (no discount)? They're both $399.99 so after my trade in the difference is about $15. I'll be using it standalone quite a bit so this also factors. I also plan on trying to double it at some point and make it modular and SVT-friendly for my big'n. I haven't tried a DB 115 but I love the midrangey sounds out of the 210, just want something deeper, so maybe this is right up my alley. I also like the Portaflex, and it'll be cheaper to double, but I've gas'd for more Aggie stuff for awhile. Is the Aggie good enough to get without testing? Sorry for the ramble.

2. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

Jan 15, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Aguilar makes a very good 115. Idk what GC carries but if youre willing to spend money for a Bergantino they make a 115 sub cab that will knock your socks off. What head do you use?

3. Go play both of them, see what your ears tell you.

4. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'd mostly be using a Tone Hammer pedal/pre and power amp and sometimes a Music Man Sixty-Five when I feel janky. The big problem is, I can only play the Ampeg. I love everything From the DB series I've tried, I just haven't tried the 115.

5. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Oh, and whenever I do decide to double up on the cab, I'd use my '72 SVT. :bassist:

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For me? Aguilar all the way.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Aggy.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The DB series are in my top 2 all time favorite "off the shelf" bass cabs, GB's Uber being the other. I'm sure the Ampeg is a good cab, but the DB is a great cab, imo.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021