Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New pots for my "RockBass by Warwick"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by volker, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hey everyone!

I own one of those nice-price Warwicks, made in Asia. It's the Streamer Standard 5-string model with 2 MEC pick-ups and passive J-Bass-like electronics. It's actually quite a good instrument, apart from the pots that might as well be on/off switches :p I'm looking at replacing them with better ones. Anybody have an idea which ones to choose?

Thanks for your advice!:)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I can't say I've experienced any particular pot that is substandard or clearly preferred. Lots of guys seem to prefer CTS and I've heard of some sealed plastic pots that are supposed to be of some to do.

What I have found is that you need to be real careful about replacing pots cause stem length, thread length and diameters vary and the wrong combination means you'll have to shim or/and drill to make them work, or not use them.

The only time I've run across pots that sound like your description, they were improperly wired. I'd stick a meter (the old cheap kind with an arm, not digital) to the pots and see what the swing looks like. If it's smooth and even, then the pots are probably fine.

Also, if you've been wanting to check out some preamp, you might look into to one that comes with pots you want.

Fact is, more and more; Mad In USA is getting to be an acronym for Made In Usually Someplace in Asia.

3. Thanks for your reply, luknfur! Checking the pots with a meter is probably the best thing to start with - I'll borrow one and see what happens! Thanks for the idea! What I might do in case the pots really are crappy is writing to Warwick in Germany about the issue; They seem to be really good in regards to satisfying their customers. I've read on this forum about someone having their Warwick's faulty neck replaced, for free!;)