1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spaz21387, Mar 12, 2008.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    So I want to replace my 250k pots on my mim fender jazz bass with 500k pots. I was wondering if I could get away with replacing just the volume pots. Or since im going to taking it apart should I just replace it too? I ordered 5 So later ill have extras. If I do end up replacing the tone pot too, Could I just re use the capacitor already in there?

2. You could just re-use the cap thats there.

Any particular reason you are changing?

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    The stock pots crackle really bad, And I live close to a pge powerstation and at certain times My pickups will pick up noises from the power station. Im hoping the higher resistance pots will block some of the noises out. They will probably make the tone alittle brighter too. Atleast thats what some sites said about changing the pots. My jazz bass has had so many upgrades. Hipshot tuners, Badass 2 bridge, Duncan sjb 3 pickups. The only thing I havent replaced were the pots. I figure I should do it soon. And I just picked up a squire vm p bass so when my jazz is in pieces atleast I can practice.