1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Power Amp - A Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 24, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well after hearing the painful sound of power amp clipping into my precious, precious speakers behind me at a gig last friday, I've bought a power amp. Being poor I couldn't afford a really good brand, and avoiding Behringer because they are not friendly people, I bought a Phonic XP2000. It's the model up from the MAX series, has an extra fan and can handle 2 ohms/channel. Lots of protective circuitry too, protecting my babies (my cabs).

Here it is:
    http://210.243.85.5/partner/modules/product_explor/products_detail.php?product_id=97#

I think I'll run it stereo into my two 8 ohm cabs (400W/side)
    It's 600W/side into 4 ohms, 960W/side into 2 ohms or 1980W bridge mono in 4 ohms. I don't think I'll be short on power!

My questions however are:

1) I'm using my Trace head as a preamp, with the Line Out plugs and patch leads. Will the gain knob on the Trace control the volume from these, or will the volume knob? Should I set the gain really low and the volume up, or will I hurt the power section of my Trace?

2) How the hell does the 4 pole speakon thing work? Surely there's 4 wires inside the cable....but the speaker will only make contact with two of these right? How does it get the whole amount of pwoer to the speakers?

Thanks!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You will get the full power out of two wires. Speakons are designed to be very general purpose and there are applications (such as biamping) that need all four wires.

If you are running in bridged mode, you may need to rewire the speakon. In stereo mode the defaults should work.

4. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sorry I mean for using bridge mono - the 4-pole plug is what I need. I'm just still confused as to whether the speaker accepts all 4 poles.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You will have to check the amp manual. Quite often for bridged mono you need to rewire the *amp* end of the cable and leave the speaker end alone.

The speaker will usually only use +1,-1. Some cabs (e.g. from GK) are setup for biamping and use all four connectors but the large majority just use +1,-1.