Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Power Amp...what to do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ok I just got a QSC poweramp...I have Avatar 212 and 410...and using my Hartke 400 as a preamp...should I...

a) Bridge mono at 2400 watts
    b) Run 2 channel at 800 watts a side, and or
    c) Get a 4 ohm cab and run it with the Hartke at 400 watts??

Hmmm...decisions decisions....

I know i know...it's what I really like to hear and my choice but just wanted some input and am just happy as a Peach to have such cool stuff and just playing bass...hmmm...welll...it'll be a year in a few days I think.

2. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oops...choice b) should read 500 watts a side

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd say A or B and my choice would depend on which connection allows you to be loud enough, have enough headroom and have the QSC running the coolest.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    What are the impedences of the Avatars? If they're both 8 ohms, you can safely bridge the QSC...I bridged my RMX 2450 into my brother's 8-ohm Avatar 410 and it sounded killer.

I'm sure you'll have great results in stereo mode as well, and DEFEINITELY keep it set up in stereo if either of the Avatars are less than 8 ohms.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My Avatars are 8 ohms each...I was thinking of putting one on each side of the drummer. Right now it's stacked for space sake. I was thinking a 4 ohm cab of some sort would be cool to be powered by the Hartke...why stop now ya know whadamean?

I just hooked it up last night so no time for experimentation...right now amp is bridged at 4 ohms, 2400 watts. Would amp run cooler in stereo at 8 ohms a piece?

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think so, but Bob Lee could verify that. Have you noticed it getting hot at all? I would say if you're happy with how it sounds/functions in bridge mode then keep it. I'm a big advocate of headroom.

-Aram

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm sure that the amp would run cooler at 8 ohms per channel rather than 4 ohms bridged.

In the bridge mode at 4 ohms, each channel basically sees 2 ohms. So if you were running full power in both modes (which probably wouldn't be the case), the bridged mode would run hotter (much higher current through the output transistors). Not sure about how the amp would respond in equal power situations (which would be likely).

8. if you keep the volume down, it doesn't matter what the load is. All the amp cares about is how many watts are running through it. I could be wrong, so you might want to ask QSC's Bob Lee, but I don't see why the amp would care how much of a load is on the other side if the power going through the transistors is the same. Actually, I just had an idea of what could cause problems that way (not enough voltage drop in the speakers, too much internally in the amp), but since what you're doing is within specs of the amp, you should be able to run both cabs in bridged mono with the amp all the way up.