Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new pre for NS eub

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Apr 25, 2004.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    greetings
    i have an ns cr5m (5 string electric upright w/piezo and magnetic pickups)and i am looking to change the onboard pre-amp...
    the current set up is an 18volt emg with volume, pan(magnetic to piezo)treble and bass boost/cut, with a 3 position(phase?)switch for pizzicatto, arco, or both. it is amazing sounding, except....
    i would like a bit more eq- possibly a parametric to tune out some of the nasal characteristics inherent with the piezo, so i can get a blend which works equally well between pizz and arco without changing settings.i often use both styles in the same tunes.
    i have plenty of outboard gear...i'm going to the source on this one..
    the only routing i would consider would be to install a balanced xlr out.
    so-i'd appreciate any info or opinion on the subject.
    thanx!
    d.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got nothing to offer by way of an internal pre, but I have the same bass and use a Sansamp Acoustic DI with good results. It really helps shape the mid in a more musical way. You might want to give one a try.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    the sans amp is a nice unit (i use one)...
    i'm hoping to get some feedback from players who have magnetic/piezo combinations about their choice in onboard pre-amps. specific to the ns would be bonus.
    anyone?